Chapter 8
Biting the
Bullet
As you would’ve gathered by now I’ve always been a lone wolf, and I liked
it that way; despite finding that one of the best fringe benefits of
surfing was the camaraderie amongst the surfers.
I’d early learnt not to talk to anyone in the water, to maintain my
concentration on the horizon, getting the jump on the dozers, but afterwards at night it was enjoyable playing a few games of eight-ball, drinking some beers, and hearing about conditions
at other breaks.
In that manner I got to know quite a few new people, French,
Brazilian, American, and plenty of Aussies. Their girlfriends were generally very attractive and everybody was friendly. We were all
focused on doing the same thing. Riding some quality waves and sharing the beauty.
The thing
about the Australians was that they usually stayed for several weeks at least, and
there was a general similarity amongst them. You could say they were easily and
primarily recognized as being Aussie surfers, and the more I surfed, which had
become anything from three to six hours a day, the more I looked like just one
more Aussie surfer.
Dogface was
a problem that just wasn’t going away. I’d finally acknowledged that. Now it
had to end.
I had, six months before, like
a crazy person with a death-wish, propositioned one of the bikies at a very intense party I'd accidently arrived at. I’d realized that it would've been madness to hire someone to do what I had to do myself because if anything went awry young Tina would be free and
so would he; but I’d be locked up somewhere, for a long time.
We'd learnt first-hand that he was
fond of ambushing people. And it could happen again any time. The tape played over and
over again in my head. If he’d had a knife that day we’d both be dead. If I
hadn’t jumped the canal I’d be dusty mush. That was two out of three, but I was never going to give him
another chance. I’d vowed, to my daughter and to myself, that I’d never show
weakness or indecision again when a person's safety depended on me. I'd plugged in to the killer instinct within.
So many
times I struggled with the idea as I lay in bed too hot to sleep. Miss T resting silently on the other bed while I pondered late
into the night and when I first woke up. Until
one of the guys I often surfed with told me triumphantly that he was going to G-Land for a
fortnight.
The light-bulb went on. G-land! Grajagan. Surfer's heaven. A remote camp on Java only accessible by boat. Without any communications to
the outside world back then. Almost another planet.
Pricking my ears I took note of his plans because Wade was not only the same height as me he obviously shared the bleached complexion and hair-color effects of too much sun and salt water.
Wade usually worked
on a geophysics survey ship out of Singapore, spent his regular breaks
in Bali, and occasionally went back to Oz to see his folks. He'd told me a
crazy story about his father moving into a caravan in the back yard, and the
eventual image of the van being towed away with his father still inside, his
profile barely visible behind the nicotine stained windows; so i kind of new who he was.
A couple of
people had mistaken us for brothers so he was perfect. My plans began to take shape as I mimicked his mannerisms; just to get the feel.
I’d been
told where Dogface had
bought a house in new semi-rural 'estate' on the edge of a town I knew well. And he drove the same light blue Falcon.
I bought a return
ticket to Australia leaving the day after Wade left for Garajagan. I was his designated back-up if something went wrong so I even had his parent's phone number and I was .already on good enough terms with the security guy to allow me to go into the room
full of small draws to swap my passport for Wades while i pulled out some traveller's cheques. I went in with a passport
and came out with a passport; no problem.
One messy bag of
clothes and a couple of ‘artifacts’ and I was off to Oz. Miss T was staying with
friends who also thought I’d gone to G-Land. With no communications and no road
in or out of the surf-camp who’d know, or even wonder if I was ever really
there because who’d knock back a chance to surf Grajagan for a fortnight? Not me!
Unless I had something more important to do.
Garuda midnight shuttle
was packed with sleepy sunburnt people of all ages so I blended in with a bunch
of guys from Avalon drinking free beers and got used to being called Wade. It
seemed like a great name for a surfer.
Customs was
a breeze. The guy hardly even looked at my hung-over face and disheveled hair.
I was just one more.
I caught the
airport bus into the city and went straight to the coach terminal where I
bought a bus ticket to the north coast before catching a cab to Kings Cross to
pick up a free syringe and buy some rohypnols, rubber gloves, soap, sticking plaster,
cough syrup, tie-ups, and a second-hand bag and jacket. The cough syrup was to
ensure me a deep sleep on the coach ride north.
Next morning
I was on the local bus heading towards DF’s place of residence. I alighted in
town with everybody else and then walked back along the footpath out of town
towards his house, leaving the road as soon as practical to go cross country,
taking advantage of the cover of regrowth to approach his house from the high side; the blocks there being about an acre. From the cover
of thick weeds about thirty meters away I was able to get a good look at the
house, and see in to where he was watching TV with his back to me. There were no curtains.
I’d have to
be patient. I had everything required for my plan, and after he went out for an
hour in the afternoon and then returned I got to see where he hung his car
keys.
That night
was cold and uncomfortable where I hunkered down in the woody weeds but it was good that he watched TV until very
late so by first light I’d already dissolved the rohypnols and got them into
the syringe to make sure I was ready when the milkman finally delivered his carton of milk.
Slipping carefully
down the bank, I crept around to the front door, injected the tranquillizer
through the waxed cardboard and returned to my hiding place to watch. I’d never
experienced the effects of Rohypnol but it was supposedly the drug of choice
for date-rapists so I had confidence in its effectiveness.
Frustratingly,
he didn’t get out of bed until almost nine so I was half asleep but to make up for it he went
straight out and picked up the milk, made coffee, and as I’d hoped, hoed into a
bowl of cereal with sugar.
It was
important to wait long enough so I did my best but the forty minutes seemed to take
forever so it was relief laced with trepidation when I sidled down to the house,
being careful not to leave obvious foot prints, and looked in through the
window to see him slumped in the armchair in front of the chattering television
sound asleep; the spoon still in his hand.
I’d already
reloaded the syringe so I went to the front door, but it was locked. Also the
back door. So I ended up having to remove a fly screen, take off my shoes, and
climb in a window, replacing the screen and carefully removing all
fingerprints. Carrying my shoes I then went straight to him and used the
cable-ties to fasten both of his arms to the arms of the chair, and one around his
ankles before I stuck him in the shoulder with the syringe. He hardly budged.
Great! Now he’d be deep in fairyland for hours.
Using a
couple of his belts and old neckties from his bedroom I properly secured his
wrists and ankles after taking the ties off the chair arms and putting them in
my pocket.
With a
balled-up sock stuck into his mouth and the sticking plaster wrapped round and
round his head he could still breathe, just enough, but he couldn’t make much noise.
After
grabbing the car keys and opening the front door I carried him out to the car
and dumped him into the boot mouth and connected his wrists to his ankles with
the last cable-tie before returning to the house to grab his baseball cap and
sunglasses.
While there I tipped
the remaining milk down the sink, and gave it a good enough flush to
empty the s-bend while rinsing his breakfast bowl before drying it and putting
it away. I folded the
milk carton and put it into my pocket.
Wearing his denim cap and sunnies I sedately reversed out of the driveway and headed west onto
ever quieter roads, glad to see the tank was almost full I drove carefully
yet continually for several hours.
In the
afternoon I arrived at a state forest I was familiar with from a camping trip and
found the small road that led into the mountains to where we had launched the kayaks. I followed it until recognizing the turn-off onto a fire-trail that went deep into the valley made
by an adolescent river.
Late in the afternoon I stopped where the trail went close to the boisterous stream and locked
up the car.
Unlocking the boot I lifted the lid to see Dogface completely indifferent; with eyes closed. Slumped in a cramped position. Lifeless but static. It had to be done so I reached for the ankle ties and used them to lift his body out of the boot and pulled it clear of the car. When he landed on the ground
he regained consciousness and started making bad-tempered noises but he couldn’t
do much with his arms and legs tied securely behind his back and an entire roll
of sticking plaster around his head trapping a sock behind his front teeth.
I could have
knocked him out with the wheel brace or something but I didn’t want to do that
in case I left some blood in the car. As it was he’d already pissed himself,
but blood and piss are two different things altogether.
His eyes
glared like the old boar with the broken snares on his right legs.
With a bit
of trouble, but made easier by the fact that I didn’t care if I hurt him, I half-carried
him from behind the shoulders for the first ten meters until his jerking-about
caused me to drop him.
I’d only
been concerned about leaving drag marks close to the road so from there I did
drag him, by his bound ankles with his face scraping rocks and roots and he’d probably
wished he’d stayed still. Hurting him was almost amusing; but it wasn’t why I
was there.
Within a minute I‘d
dragged him to the edge of the small rocky stream and took a moment to catch my breath. Deep in the narrow valley night was falling so fresh sounds began rushing into my ears. I felt fairly cool but very aware of what I was
doing, and the importance of being out of there before dawn, so I quickly
gathered up some leaves and kindling and got a fire going on a large flat rock
in the center of the stream, continually adding to it until it was not just a
blaze but more a solidly fueled fire with some really dry old stumps and logs
as the foundation. Deep in the valley surrounded by thousands of acres of state
forest there was no concern about anyone seeing the fire’s glow.
I dragged
him through the shallow water, closer to the fire so I could see his
fear-filled face. He’d had plenty of time to think about what he’d done to me
and my little girl. He’d had plenty of opportunities to knock it off, to leave
us alone, but no, he’d just kept harassing us, and scaring the living daylights
out of a young child.
I told him
as much as I shifted him closer to the fire and of course by then he was making
as much noise as possible and doing his damnedest to kick free of the
restraints, and it looked like there was the remote possibility of him having
some success in his panicked state so I pushed him backward, into slightly deeper water until after some initial fuss the complaints ceased. Plenty enough to leave him limp while I rolled his body onto the fire face down where
it suddenly began jerking and twitching as it started to steam, and hiss, then burn.
First the pajamas and his hair of course but pretty soon the meat.
It wasn’t
about being nasty. It was way
beyond that. He’d become a blockage to normal life. Our little girl had spent
half her life on the
run from this creep.
I felt sorry
for him the same way I’d feel sorry for a mangy old rat caught by the neck in a
trap.
It was a magnificent
night under the stars so I just kept browsing about for for the best pieces of deadwood to feed into the fire using a straight hardwood
branch to push arms and legs back into the center until there was pretty much
nothing left.
While the last of him burnt to cinders I stripped my clothes and threw
them on the fire, then washed myself thoroughly in the stream. By the
time the quarter-moon had risen even the bones had burnt or been broken up by me using the solid branch I’d been using to keep the fire blazing.
Recovering the skull as soon as it was just a glowing ball of bone was essential so I rolled it into a
shallow pool where it hissed and cracked as it quickly cooled. Retrieving the teeth as I
knocked them out onto the flat bedrock in front of me I then used a large fist-sized spherical stone to crush to powder every last one of them, as well
as what was left of the skull and femurs.
By the time
the first indications of morning appeared to the east the job was done. Only
ashes remained. Dogface and everything and anything to do with him that had
been in the car was just a pile of glowing coals with hardly any smoke rising
from them.
With both
hands I splashed water on to the fire until it was doused, and then carefully washed
and scraped the remaining ashes into the flowing water where they dissolved or
washed away.
By the time
the first birdcalls began I had the surface of the bedrock looking like a
kitchen bench. There was a large burn mark that looked like dark-colored rock, and as for Dogface there was nothing but a
burnt smell.
Feeling
tired and relieved but aware of the lightening sky I had one last wash of face
and hands, taking particular care of my nails, returned to the car, drove to
the end of the fire-trail, carefully turned around and retraced my tracks back
out of the forest as sedately as I could, considering the enormity of what I’d
just done, but I was determined not to make any mistakes after such a
successful mission; Dogface would bother us no more!
From there I
returned to Sydney to park the car in an inner city suburb. I left one
back door unlocked and walked a couple of blocks to catch a cab to the
airport for the return flight to Bali. The car would lose its wheels
within a week, have the windscreen smashed in a fortnight, and within the month
would’ve been hauled away for scrap by a contractor working for the council.
The Chinese
say to dig two graves before going for revenge, but I hadn’t dug any.
Back in Bali
I replaced the passport and made sure I didn’t ever see Wade again. Instead I
went surfing at my favorite left-hander down the coast for a few days.
The
assassination had been flawless as far as I could judge but there were always
unknown events and unlikely coincidences completely out of my control, but, I
was working on the assumption that no-one would notice him ‘missing’ or even care.
Not for a while anyway.
There was
always someone. Maybe the local Seventh Day Adventists had him targeted as a
convert, or perhaps he actually still had some friends somewhere but that was
in the lap of the gods.
Despite
my confidence I decided to stay in Indonesia for a while. I’d already been in
touch with a school on Java and sent them my ‘CV’ so after a few days surfing I’d
returned to pick up Tina from her friend’s place, paid her some money and
bragged about how good the surf had been "in G-Land!" The school had invited me up for an
interview so I told her friend’s mother we were going to work in Jakarta and
flew to Surabaya that
afternoon.
I think
the school principal
knew my English
literature degree probably originated in Bangkok but it didn’t seem to bother
him. They needed an English-language conversation teacher, I needed a job, and
their business was affiliated with the International School where Tina would be
studying. They provided accommodation which was quite close so it was ideal for
us. Teaching English suited me. It’s a beautiful language and the students were
politely attentive, but I didn’t expect it to become my new career.
The
school paid a decent wage and soon I was editing for a couple of magazines
as well. The cost of living was low and everything required to live comfortably
and eat well was readily available. I
employed an eighteen year old girl to help look after the house and cook when I
couldn’t or didn’t want to. She and Tina got along
fabulously.
We each
had an air-conditioned room and Tina had plenty of friends from school and knew
many of the other kids in the street. A wholesome, healthy lifestyle that
required very little contact with Australia. I heard nothing and made no
enquiries so the drastic quality of my memories gradually faded.
The new
reality, of not being prey to a crazy hunter put me in a far better frame of
mind. Being afraid and continually planning escape strategies had been my state for too long sofeeling unafraid and enjoying the simple things previously
obscured by that shadowy fear was a great relief.
A few months
later I found out that my mother had died unexpectedly. She was old but never
ill. From my limited communication with friends in Australia there’d never been
any hint of suspicion regarding DF’s death, or any indication that they even knew
he was dead, just that he “hadn’t been seen around for a while”, and then no
mention, but still I was glad that I hadn’t attended her funeral just in case.
Instead I
waited for more than a year, until after her estate had been settled and I was
pleased to find that I’d inherited enough of a share from the sale of her house,
combined with what I’d managed to save while teaching, to buy that personal
oasis to retire to and live more or less as a rural hermit.
Returning
to Australia for Tina to go to university had been discussed several times so the timing turned out
to be just right. With my savings and inheritance I bought a ‘hobby farm’ from
an old friend. He hadn’t done much to the place except patch up the existing
cottage, plant an orchard, create some fish ponds and put in irrigation as part
of an integrated system before the arthritis got to him but he’d been there
five years so the trees, though
neglected, were all well-established.
Cleaning up the block took a while because “everything grew so well”, but many other
native timber trees were discovered around the periphery that had previously been overwhelmed by weeds. There was
a deep pond, a solid chook house, herb garden, well-equipped workshop; and all
at mate’s rates.
It was a
very humble little house but I’d opened up a couple of walls and put a verandah across the back to make it cool
and comfortable.
It was not
much more than an acre and a half so it was pretty much packed with fruit trees
and a large vegetable patch at the side of the house where the
sun shone brightest but it abutted a state forest so I didn’t have to worry
about noisy neighbours.
Tina
liked to visit but her priority was study so she stayed in a share house in the
city. There were many birds as well as herbevores to graze the lawn so it was a
quiet but busy little corner of the world.
Out of
the blue an old buddy from national service called me to say that he thought
he’d seen Helen while working for a contractor doing a painting job at an aged-care
facility in Mackay. He reckoned he kept working because it was good money but I
was more inclined to think he hadn’t learnt to do nothing. When we were being
discharged from the army I had told him, “Come on! Get out of Canberra. Head
North”. And that’s what he and his girlfriend had done, and after a couple of years
they bought land overlooking the ocean and they’re still there. The land is now
worth millions so I always get a warm welcome and catch-up on the latest news.
When he called he was only half-sure that the
person he’d seen was Helen because he hadn’t seen her for years, and he only glimpsed
her through a window a couple of times, being wheeled in a chair from one area
to another. But Helen has
a distinctive face, and he reckoned it was her. He refused to take a photo, for obvious reasons, so
I figured I had to follow it up myself.
I made
some vague phone enquiries, for a friend of course, but learned quite a lot about the system by doing so. The next time, when I rang the actual facility,
using her maiden name and claiming to be her brother-in-law, I discovered that she couldn’t speak but even if she could, the friendly
receptionist lady told me, they weren’t permitted to
confirm or deny the presence of any individual resident of the facility without
proper identification from the person making the enquiry.
It was definitely worth the drive so I made an appointment using a fake
name from an expired drivers’ license I’d found. I‘d booked a cheapish motel not far away, dressed
casual but clean, bought a modest bunch of flowers and parked the rental car in
the near-empty car-park and fronted-up at the surprisingly
open reception. The well-tended garden, with a terrace and sizeable newly mown lawn, had inspired my
confidence.
It turned
out I didn’t even need to show my fake ID. Maybe
I’m wrong but I get the impression that just carrying flowers returns a certain
level of cachet from every woman; not just the one they were bought for.
It was visitor’s
hours but they weren’t
rigorously adhered to, although I did make sure I left on time. The staff gave me the impression there weren’t a lot of other jobs
in town.
When Helen was wheeled up toward me she was obviously looking surprised. Despite half of her
face being slack and unable to speak we had an understanding right away. She wanted out of there so she was
obviously glad to see me. Our conspiratorial understanding hadn’t faded with
time.
One of
the carers explained to me what a stroke was and referring to a notebook more
or less listed the incapacities that Helen was experiencing as an effect of the
stroke. The left
side of her body was obviously effected the most but she seemed to be mentally
alert nonetheless.
The
second visit was more hopeful. The same receptionist was on duty and I knew
where to go. Helen was in the chair but showed me that, with some assistance, she
could walk. One foot dragged and she was too wobbly to let go of the table, but I had the
distinct impression that she had been spurred on by my interest.
The
saddest part was seeing half of her face kind of slack, with one eye staring. Her
very short hair looked suitably institutional and emphasised the scar in the
centre of her forehead. Unsurprisingly she was rather slender so the light blue
pyjamas hung from her shoulders. She pulled them up her legs a bit when we sat
out in the soft sunlight.
Third
time was the big one. I’d made a formal application to take her to visit her
nieces and nephews for the weekend over Easter, the ‘school holidays’, and that all
seemed to be accepted as nothing unusual. I had the impression they were
pleased to see her getting out for a change. I’d really played up the
‘relatives’ thing, complete with a bunch of kid’s photos I flipped through with
credible sounding names and stories.
After the
papers had been signed I quietly and rather expertly pushed the wheelchair out
to the car, helped her in to the front seat, which wasn’t difficult. Though a
bit limp, with limited muscle-tone, she wouldn’t have weighed much more than
forty-five kilos. I didn’t really want the wheelchair but to keep up
appearances I’d paid the rental with cash and put it folded into the back seat
along with her bag of clothes, cosmetics and medications
The first
part of the drive was not
too far. Just out of sight, out of mind, out of jurisdiction, to a motel I’d
checked out on the way up. It was
all a bit surreal so we didn’t interact much. More a time for adjustment and
rest, and assimilation. Really, no sooner were we in the room than she was
dozing on the bed and then before I knew it she was completely asleep and
stayed that way until morning when I heard her get up and shuffle across to the
bathroom.
The next day
started with a better than expected motel breakfast and continued with me driving
steadily down the highway talking
most of the time about Tina growing up. I had so many funny
anecdotes, descriptions
of birthdays and school events because I absolutely typified the
proud father, so, ‘before we knew it’, we’d turned off the highway, stopped in the second closest little town
for milk and bread, and well before dark arrived ‘home’.
With some help she got out of the car and leaning against me with my arm
around her waist we negotiated the two front steps and made our way through to
the verandah. We still had the wheel chair but I left it where it was.
In the Year of the Horse she needed her freedom, and there it was. Sitting her
in the rocking chair caused the first responsive action I could have called a
smile. She spent a lot of time looking across at me, her face expressionless, but not blank. She slept a lot, but far less as the medication wore off. Content to watch the birds, butterflies, dragonflies,
skinks, and all the other stuff going on; giving meaning to the notion of sitting
in the one place while the entire world comes by.
Second
day she began turning her head. Still didn’t try to talk but apparently didn’t
want to.
She showed a new appreciation for the music of nature, especially at night, so I made-up a bed with a mosquito net out there for her. After a few days she could move about a bit on her own.
She had
new serenity about her because of the peace and quiet and beauty away from the noisy,
sterile place where she’d been so I felt okay about leaving her
alone for a few hours. There was a small table within reach that had water and
small bananas and tubes of kid’s yoghurt.
In town I
collected payment from the local gallery for a woodcarving on consignment.
They’d sold a full-sized wombat carved from a large piece of blue-gum. The lady
who’d bought it had grandchildren so she wanted to put it in her garden, for
them ride on. Good to hear it had found such a dynamic home. It wouldn’t be long before
the timber had weathered to the exact colour of a real wombat.
With some
of the cash I bought a couple of the small style of pastries I knew Helen loved, and then left town so soon
enough I was bumping on down the driveway. As every time, it felt so good to
see the place; the way it changed in even a few hours away.
As usual
I walked straight through the open front door to the verandah to see Helen and
flourish the pastries, but looking about I saw her, not in the rocker, but face-down
in the main fish pond outside. She was a sad and sobering sight.
A few fallen leaves were resting on
her jacket so I knew she was long dead.
It was a soul-shaking
moment to see her like that, but I didn’t move for a minute or more, except to touch the
wall, draw
breath and take in the overall scene. The trellis rose, the hedge, the lawn, Helen laying face-down completely in the pond with her
long skirt spread out floating on the surface. The pale souls of her bare feet
half-submerged; the rose hedge wafting a sweet perfume.
Above,
and framing the scene, were the crowns of avocado and mango trees, tall bamboos
doing the will of the wind. Eucalypts full of shrill summer sounds and the sky hot
in the west repeatedly pierced
by three farking crows.
I hadn’t
thought she’d be able to get down the steps. Even if there'd been some reason
for her to do so. It hadn’t occurred to me that she’d been keeping her increasing
mobility a secret, to make such a decisive move, but with hindsight, being so
restricted in movement and self-expression, in a state that would probably continue
to deteriorate, made it understandable. With me in town for most of the day she may have seen it as her only chance, and what more peaceful way
would she have found to be found.
As I went
down the steps I saw marks on the lawn that indicated she’d fallen at the
bottom but regained her feet and then been standing on the edge when she’d
toppled in. She couldn’t have got herself back out even if she’d tried.
Her face
was turned to the right floating above a lily pad. Her eyes closed. She looked
asleep, just like when I’d woken in the early half-light during those days of bliss.
Up on one elbow I’d feel like kissing her but instead whisper to her and that’s
what I did again, kneeling beside her I whispered words about eternal peace and thanked her for the
good times, for all of the times, and our greatest treasure, Miss T, now all
grown up and clever.
Helen was
still sleeping softly except the brightly-coloured fish were kissing her.
My one
regret, for Helen had
made her choice for herself, was that I’d waited too long to tell Tina that I’d
found her mother. She was
doing her final exams, and I wanted it to be a surprise when she came to visit,
rather than a distraction during a crucial moment; but now it was obviously too late.
I carefully
lifted Helen from the empty pond and placed her on the lawn in a comfortable
position before using the
sledgehammer to knock out a few rocks and some cement from the low side of the wall so that the pond drained quickly.
Inside the house I looked
through the trunk where I kept the wedding dress material that
Elsie had sent to us when Tina was a baby.
The fish left
flopping around I moved to the other pond. The sun was bright on a westerly
breeze so the pond was dry by the time I began lining it with flax and yarrow
stalks, and then lay her back down with her closed eyes watching the universe, looking like a lady who’d
finally relaxed onto her familiar bed after a long and difficult day, before spreading the wedding dress material over her completely and adding a
layer of banana
leaf.
After
lifting some of the surrounding lawn I barrowed in some perfect soil to build
up a smooth mound gradually
rising on both sides to a large partly buried rock that cornered the rose
garden and then I replaced the turf except for the centre where I planted a
banana mango tree. Helen’s favourite.
Watching
her enjoy one of those mangoes was better than having it myself, but sharing one
with her was really the best.
The mango
tree thrived from the moment it was planted and several pumpkin seeds from the compost-rich soil soon sprouted
around it so I let them go; to take
over that corner of the yard.
I’ll
admit there was some smell at first so I set up a light on the verandah and sat
out there in her chair sometimes rocking
modestly through the night to make sure we didn’t get any
unwelcome visitors from the nearby forest.
From beneath
the eave on a drizzly cool night I could sit on the verandah with the light off
and watch. Helen’s
presence in the garden was a constant consideration and at first the mound
looked suspiciously like what it was, most
likely because I knew what it was, but the persistence of that knowledge and
the mixed emotions I felt were reduced with the softening
of the mound’s profile by the eager spread of
pumpkin vines and the vitality
of the lawn.
The
‘concern’, about having Helen’s body in the garden, quickly faded as the flesh-fuelled
microbial populations reintegrated the molecules into the natural environment,
just as she had wished to be reintegrated, and soon enough that corner of the
garden just looked as exuberant and lovingly attended to as the rest. The large
slightly prickly pumpkin leaves stole more than their fair share of the sunshine so soon new yellow flowers were popping out day by day.
I had no
visitors, no
friends. There wasn’t a reason to go anywhere. And that’s just how I liked it. For
the entire world to rest in peace.
From then
on I did my wood-work on the back verandah, putting in that extra effort and
care to show her how clever I was and when I’d finished I sat in the rocker
looking out at the orchard over the border of red and white roses, the mango
tree with the new flush of leaves, and the pumpkins flowering constantly, and
felt at ease.
There
were always butterflies roaming the garden, occasionally large black ones or
swallowtails of dazzling red, white and black, but more usually they were small
yellow ones, the colour of buttercups flittering about, being there and then there without being anywhere
in between. They liked the bright yellow pumpkin flowers.
Of course
there was no way to tell Tina. She’d completed her degree with first grade honours, and then scored exactly the job she wanted, unfortunately in Canberra, as part of the office of foreign
affairs so she
was happy.
I
definitely couldn’t tell her where her Mum was then.
Concealing her death and interring her in the yard was definitely illegal but that had been my decision and I didn’t
regret it.
It would be illegal for Tina to keep my secret so just
knowing about it would jeopardize her job, and even her freedom, so despite very
much wanting to, I simply couldn’t tell her.
I’d burnt all of Helen’s clothes and papers and cards and the purse they were in, and even pulled apart and buried the wheel chair, so there wasn’t any trace of
her, anywhere.
There’d be no-one looking for her, as far as I knew.
They only
look for someone when someone else makes a fuss; and even then they don’t most
of the time. The address I’d given them was plausible
but fictitious. Nobody questioned it, or
commented. They
hadn’t seemed to care too much as I arranged for her to leave. The place was obviously overcrowded….
Tina liked
to spend her vacations “on the farm”as she liked to call it. She had
arrived early while the sky was still overcast but the sun broke through
mid-morning and it turned into a beautiful day.
Her boyfriend
had exams so he’d be coming along in a few days. I’d
met him before. A capable young man with environmental interests. We’d
done some work on the irrigation system together the last time he’d been
there so he’d sent me a new solar time-switch with
Tina.
When I
returned from installing it, Tina, of late a vegetarian, as I had also become
because I couldn’t convince myself to kill my own chickens, had baked a pumpkin pie.
“They’re such
lovely little golden pumpkins I couldn’t resist”, she ‘confessed’, as though she’d forgotten how much her cooking skills had convinced me there was no culinary necessity for eating meat. Pumpkin pie has universal appeal, especially with the crispy crust she created. “Pumpkin is a complete food
that provides everything to sustain a healthy body” she reminded me.
The nutty
aroma permeated the home, for that’s how it felt in that little house when we
were there together on a Sunday
afternoon enjoying lunch on the verandah.
Removing
a clove I scooped a spoonful of pie and savoured the hearty flavour and smooth
texture of its home-baked goodness. When
licking some crumbs from my fingers a shower of rain, the first of many I was
hoping, began
falling lightly though the sun still shone; my
favourite weather. Afterwards, sitting satiated and satisfied, the eaves
dripped and leaves dripped and every other leaf glowed and a tiny globule of
captive raindrops sat reflective on each rose petal.
Tina
looked regally relaxed in the rocking chair.
She commented on the brightness and luminosity that the sun-shower
had provoked. She was
also titillated by the numerous bright coloured butterflies that had responded
to the light shower. We’d never seen so many of them before and they seemed to be
playfully splashing about in a river of light. We sat in the silence of a dreamy afternoon,.
Several
varieties of pumpkin had self-sown so the sensuous shapes and brilliant hues of the flowers
varied from orange to yellow. I’m not an insect but if I were I’m sure I’d
recognise them as prime organs for pollination.
As I
quietly watched in the afternoon dreaminess the colours of
the flowers increased in intensity until their fascination
became so powerful that the buttery waves of colours began flowing out directly
toward my eyes as though I was
looking into gently scattering suns of molten
cosmic treacle.
The
blueness of the sky formed a perfect sphere beyond, cicadas hummed in every
corner, the flush of mango leaves shimmered, and a trickle of tiny butterflies
began emerging from each of the pumpkin flowers.
The sight
tickled my mind as more and more of the butterflies emerged
from the golden cones, from a trickle to a constant flow, with
each set of tiny golden wings flapping to lift them aloft, and
every pair of wings random to every other but as they lifted higher from the
ground swinging smoothly into swirling, blurring, coalescing clusters the wing-beats
became synchronized so that every pair were beating together like the softest, sweetest chant of
angels proudly praising the power of love.
Every tiny
insect eye was glinting, lost amongst the sunbeams flickering, glittering reflections
of sunshine’s warming everywhere a shimmering mirage no
longer there.
My mind
was stilled by the sight as a lake is by the peace of early morning,
The little
cloud of golden butterflies hovering between us and the blue sky sent waves
rolling stretching rivulets of intense buttercup yellow riding on the air that
was also the colour of topaz fingers and ribbons that calmed the mind and
heart.
Tina was
in the rocker watching the world with the same level of awe but she didn’t
speak except by the serenity and excitement on her face when the scene began to
be almost filled by the glowing butterflies as they swarmed upwards into a
sphere of floating phantoms that spilled down and swirled about with Helen’s
face, gradually integrated, becoming discernible.
Her smooth forehead, that smile and slight
smirk, just as I
remembered from the first time we’d met.
All the
magic moments only young lovers can know and special naïvely energised,
optimistic focus as a single force for good.
My mind was flooded by waves of
precious memories of wondrous moments. Our trials and tribulations. The highs
and lows, her standing there in the sunshine, hair blown back by the wind,
smooth brown belly charged with life, her unique mannerisms, funny stories, and
the first time I ever saw her, all transmitted to me on the vibrations coming
from the ethereal wings of translucent colour.
Countless,
overwhelming memories were passing through my mind. Every moment together, from
the very first I’d seen her face light up, her eyebrows naturally fine, smooth
nose, sweet broad lips, perfect chin, such a lovely girl, blessed were we.
That’s how
it had been and it was again as her long-lashed lids lifted to reveal her eyes
looking directly at us when her fresh smile broke into a smirk that
disintegrated as the butterflies fluttered away in every direction on weightless wings. Gleaming, revived,
There she was and then she was gone,
but it
was a pleasure and a privilege to know that she’d arrived at her destination
safely.
I looked
across at Tina. Adjusting my sense of presence while absorbing what had just
happened.
Her eyes
were closed and a tear was sliding down her cheek. We sat in silence for a few
minutes and then I noticed she’d fallen asleep in the chair with her head
turned to one side on the thin silk pillow.
Requiem.
Thanks
for taking the time to read our story. Years have gone by and I don’t want Helen
forgotten. A pole carved in her memory stands in the garden some distance from
the back of the house where I can see it but I also wanted to document the
events as they happened to be a reminder for others of how quickly life can
change.
Here in
the garden there is peace. My daughter survived and thrived so I am deeply
grateful. Nothing concentrates the mind the way real fear does. For many years
I’d been constantly watching over my shoulder, always scanning the perimeter
and prepared to respond to threat. Always parked with an escape route in mind.
The
hyper-vigilance that it engendered became second nature as did re-living intense
moments that shouldn’t ever have happened. If the situation
occurs again I’ll be ready, “Next
time”, I’d tell myself. But re-playing events that could have been fatal was essentially a waste of time
unless it put the focus on not allowing a similar situation to ever happen
again.
Helen’s
image had lasted only moments but the hum that emanated from thousands of synchronised
wings remains in my mind.
In some ways my hippie attitude had
worked against me. Saying “Yes” when I should have said “No way!” But it was the
guiding principle of speaking truthfully regardless of the immediate ramifications
or apparent benefit of lying that turned the legal process my way and got the right people at the right time to
be on-side.
Winning
custody was the fundamental and essential element of eventual success so even though I realised quite
early on that the legal system is a tragic theatre of the absurd I couldn’t let the judge know that I knew
that. I had to show completely credible, utmost respect for the court in the
hope that it would do the same for us.
Offering
people trust when they had the potential and likelihood of betraying that trust
caused a lot of extra problems but worked out well in the long run because it
quickly revealed who I could rely on, and as I’ve already said, speaking the
truth no matter the consequences had inadvertently made me impervious to the tactics
of the lawyers.
The
police are a necessary evil. Too bad they are necessary and too bad they are
sometimes evil.
So thank
you to all those people who helped us in one way or another during the drama. May
nothing like this ever happen to you, but if it does, don’t ever give up, and
remember, if lucky, through adversity we sometimes gain strength, like my
‘little girl’, all grown up now and one of the strongest yet sweetest people
you’re ever likely to meet.
JM 2020
Comments
Post a Comment