Chapter 5
The Cauldron
Finally
the money arrived a few days before our visas expired. My mind was still set on
finding a job so I flew to Hong Kong with the intention of being an English
teacher.
First
interview I discovered a university degree was required. I’d been offered a
fake degree at a low price the week before in Bangkok but I hadn’t known that a
degree was a prerequisite for employment as an English teacher. I hardly knew
anything. One of the young ladies waiting to be interviewed quietly told me of
a place I should contact, but I was too silly to follow it up.
Instead,
Miss T and I went out to a large island nearby to see some pandas. A large
prison was the main industry on the island. Later we were hitch-hiking along
the circuitous main road when we were picked up by the gaol’s superintendent
and his charming wife. They invited us for dinner in their luxurious apartment,
inside the huge gaol complex, before Tina and I spent our first night behind
bars.
Without a
job in an expensive place I was just wasting money so I bought tickets back to
Australia. I had considered flying to Micronesia but once inside the busy
travel agent I forgot about that idea.
As soon as
we arrived in Sydney I got in touch with Helen
to let her know we were back in Australia. She said she’d come down to meet us.
The sound of her voice got me smoking. She sounded so different.
I also
called my old boss who offered me my job back. I said yes, and organized for my
daughter to stay with her grandmother in Nuigini for a few
weeks while I was ‘in-country’ doing the mountain and the Duke
of York islands again, for excellent payment.
A couple
of days later I met Helen at the train station
and she came to stay at my mother’s place. It was good to see her, but I was
very cautious in the way I dealt with her because she’d changed so much.
She wouldn't
let me take Tina with me, even though she’d be staying with Elsie while in Nuigini, but she
didn’t seem to have a clue about what she was doing, so I had to ring my boss
and cancel out of the trip which meant I would never have the chance to work
for them again. I was exhibiting the strange passivity bred into me by years of trying to be nice,
and seeking approval for leftist thinking.
During the
night Helen was up and about, walking around, going
to the toilet, making noises and when I asked her what she was doing she told
me she was suffering withdrawals and had cramps in her stomach.
Whether
that was true or not I have no idea, but I thought it was at the time. I asked
her to come to the Wayside Chapel in the morning for some counselling so that
she could make a plan to ‘beat the habit’ but she said she didn't want to. Once
again I’d over-reacted I guess, I told her she either promised to come with me
to do something about the problem or leave my mother’s house. It was six by
then. She elected to leave. Stupid me. Stupid us. I had a strangely moralistic
view of heroin and I had no idea of how often, how much, if ever she was using
the stuff. Maybe she was just taking pills, or trying to scare me, who knows?
Two days
later I caught the train and then the
bus and finally made it home. The place looked good, a bit run down, but it was
a relief to be in my own house again and
Miss T was having a good time playing on the grass and pulling out her toys
onto the polished hardwood floor. I enjoyed watching the fire crackling away
into the night.
The papaya
and banana patch was thriving. What had been a bare piece of earth after I’d
chopped away the thick lantana was now a shady area of bananas and thick green
papaya trees all laden with ripening fruit. The soil had been ‘laying fallow’ for
years and I’d added generous amounts of fertilizer so the plants had responded
accordingly.
So okay, I
was making every mistake that I could have made, I can see that now, but who
does react in the correct manner? I can tell you it was a multi-faceted problem
with heavy emotional content and I am a man of many moods and weak determination.
Anyway, Helen
showed up a couple of days later on the back of a motor bike and took Tina to
town without a helmet or jacket and I was getting mad at her for becoming so
irresponsible. Although it was somewhat hypocritical of me because I’d ridden
around Ko Samui with Tina not wearing a helmet but you’d probably understand if
I’d described the rider. Some guy I’d never seen before that looked like he’s
just washed out of the nearest drain. I should have just said “No, she can’t go”,
but I was not being decisive. My judgement was blurred by still trying to be
nice all of the time. A symptom of a personality without strong foundations.
We lived
together in our house for about six weeks and Helen
just came and went as she pleased while I looked after our daughter and cleaned
up the garden and the orchard and finished off a dozen small building jobs.
Tina and I
lived day to day and I made another attempt to put some sense into Helen’s head
by inviting the district nurse out to mediate a talk between us. I didn't know
the woman very well but she’d been
involved with Helen’s pre-natal stuff and I knew Helen
had a lot of respect for her.
It turned
out to be my first important contact with a "this is a recording"
style feminist. The nurse, despite being a mature woman, believed, or pretended
to believe, everything and anything Helen told her
but disregarded anything I said, so she
didn't help at all. I’ll probably never really understand what happened, but it
was a chance lost.
I was
still very much involved in the community so on the night of the equinox there
was a party we went to. I was talking to some female friends in the kitchen of
the school when I was asked to do the honours of lighting the fireworks. I was
pleased to be asked and left Tina in the care of the ladies huddling in the
kitchen while I went out to the designated place but it was only a minute or
two later when I was told Tina had had an accident so I rushed back and found her
shrieking in pain with her face completed covered in blood. I quickly wiped
enough blood away with the palm of my hand to find its source. A neat hole
punched in the centre of her forehead.
I calmed
her down and cleaned her up and took her home, quite angry that those stupid
women couldn’t be trusted to look after a small child for five minutes. Later
when I investigated I found that she had been allowed to wander away. They were
probably too busy gossiping to notice, and she’d stepped down the hippie-made
steps into the darkness attempting to follow me.
Steps have
an international standard dimension but the hippies hadn’t worked that out, and
probably never will. Because the second step dropped further than usual Tina
had stepped into thin air and then fallen forward, impacting the concrete path
with her forehead right where a piece of aggregate protruded from the concrete
path. The small hole that emitted so much blood was like a gateway for evil,
especially on that auspicious occasion.
After a
while I just couldn't stand being there in the same house with Helen
any longer. When she went off to town I’d lay awake until late at night
listening to the occasional cars, imagining them to be turning into our driveway,
or worse, stopping to drop her off at the top of the drive which was a couple
of hundred meters away, because then I’d be holding my breath waiting to see if Helen
would appear at the front door a few minutes later.
I never had
any idea where she was or when we may see her next. Even John, her former
partner at the time that I’d met Helen, arrived one day to find out what was
going on. He was concerned about what he’d been hearing even after not seeing
her for years.
The fridge
and stove had been sold, anyway they were gone. The big gas-bottle was leaning
against the wall with the pipe leading to nowhere so we had no choice but to
cook on the fire again but it
wasn't until Christmas day that I realized how bad things were getting. We had very
little money and there was nothing left in the house to eat, I couldn’t get the
car out of the driveway, and all of the local shops, eight kilometres away,
were closed, so I had to hitch-hike fifty kilometres across to the coast with
Tina to buy some food. We had shared the first solitary mango from the tree I’d
planted the day Tina was born. It had a rosy pink blush and tasted sweet but having the shape of a heart and having been picked a little early it had a tinge of sourness.
Suddenly dazzled
by electricity and hot showers I rented a room in an old house although we
hitched back up to our house at least once a week to try to keep in contact
with Helen. It seemed like magic being able to walk into a room and flick a
switch to have light and didn’t cost much either.
Everything
improved for us then because we were out of the depressing environment where
even simple things were difficult and I met a beautiful Scandinavian woman named
Gail who Tina really liked.
Gail had
just completed a massage course so we started doing two-person therapeutic
massages, for money of course. It must have been the best massage ever offered
in that town because we were both fit and full of energy. We’d both been
studying anatomy so combined with what I’d learned during the acupuncture
course, which included shiatsu and herbal medicines, we had the skills and
motivation to give the most excellent massage.
Gail
started at the face and I began at the feet and we finished with four-handed
raking before some expansive effleurage. Perfecto!
A few days
after the wet season rains had eased off I went up to retrieve the car but I’d
left the keys in the house and Helen had
taken it. We both owned it so that was fair enough. I didn’t really need a car
at the coast.
One
evening when I was just putting the finishing touches to a portable massage
table I heard some heavy footsteps outside and looked up to see two policemen
coming around the side of the van. The caravan windows pivoted out from the
side of the van so the big police officer hit the aluminium frame with the side
of his head, which put him in a very bad mood. They had a warrant for my arrest
for failing to appear in court on charges of malicious injury to police and
resist arrest incurred at the forest protest so they took me to the
lock-up.
Processing
was short and sweet so soon after I was placed in the room-sized cell I made
myself comfortable and looked around at the first prison cell I’d ever spend
the night in. It reminded me of when I’d been a monk so I just chilled-out and
enjoyed the enforced isolation.
I was sleeping
soundly in the silent cell until I being woken about midnight by light pouring
through the steel door opened just long enough for my new cell mate to be put
inside. I didn't look up but went immediately back to sleep.
About six I
became aware of movement in the dimly lit cell and knew it was the other guy
shuffling over to the bare bowl against the wall. I just stayed where I was and
felt a bit embarrassed for him sitting there farting and groaning as what
sounded like a huge amount of shit was deposited. Eventually he finished and
the flush was music to the nose.
I lay there
quietly for another twenty minutes while the air cleared and then sat up to
mindfully begin the morning asanas which were part of my daily routine.
Stretching
and breathing and bending and relaxing, round and around, with not a word
spoken. I couldn't help but notice the other man, who was older than me, needed
a shave and he’d been using a bicycle helmet for a pillow.
I resented
his presence a little because I’d found the enforced peace of the cell ideally
suited to contemplation, and the isolation had given me time to concentrate on
the present without distraction.
Soon he got
up and began to copy my movements so I slowed down a bit for him to work out
the sequence as we went. We both lay on the floor in shavasana as I explained
to him the next posture and the pattern of breathing required. We finished off
with some Om chanting which sounded substantial within the solid brick cell;
almost like a little temple.
When we’d
finished I asked him where he'd come from and what he was doing there. He
wasn't sure where he’d ridden from, which was my first clue to a substantial
irregularity.
But, until a
few years before Peter had been studying medicine at university where he was
also the president of the hang gliding club so he'd been married for seven
weeks when he miscalculated a turn while soaring and subsequently collided with
a tree before being tossed onto the ground. Next day he regained consciousness
with irreparable damage to the inner brain and short term memory. Four years of
studies were lost. He was no longer consistently capable of distinguishing
dream from reality. He experienced feelings of paranoia and disorientation.
Soon his
wife had divorced him, he was no longer a student, nor even the President of
the Hang Gliding Association.
Peter had
chosen the road and his bicycle and he'd been traveling around ever since
trying to adjust his different self to an ever changing world where a lot of us
seem to be having trouble distinguishing dream from reality. He'd ridden into
Beachside late in the evening and attempted to find some low cost accommodation
which was all full and so he ended up at the hotel where he paid the night's
fee but somehow became involved in a difference of opinion which became an
argument and was all over when the police appeared at the surreptitious request
of the licensee. He seemed bewildered by what had happened.
All I could
suggest to him was that he should copy what was taken for normal so no-one would notice
the difference.
About eight
the solid steel door swung open again and a burly sergeant took Peter away. I was disturbed
about what would happen next. I felt sorry for him but had no way to help.
My
girlfriend was a real health freak with a sweet disposition, and looked like
it. Glowing eyes, clear tanned skin, wild blonde hair and athletic body. She
arrived at the station with Tina soon after Peter had left. She’d brought some
flowers and a small bag of healthy food.
While
nibbling on the wholesome snacks I decided that I really didn’t want to be in
the cell any more so I called a friend to bail me out for $500 rather than stay
there for six more hours, so I was soon back at the beach with Gail and Tina.
When I did
appear before the court, carrying Tina in my arms, the magistrate rescinded the
bail and deferred the proceedings to some future date which never ended up
happening anyway.
As well as
the massage service we had a scheme
whereby each afternoon we strung up a whole lot of frangipani leis which we’d
take to town in the evening and sell in restaurants, and then spend the money
on really enjoying ourselves. Eating, drinking, and a taxi home. Money
finished.
We began
to sell seafood in the caravan parks from a mobile freezer pulled by a slightly
rusty 4WD. It was the best time of the year for tourists so we made enough
money to buy another old car.
Gail and I
were overflowing with primal energy so we enjoyed the beach lifestyle to the
max and we were so busy it enabled me some respite from the dramas of the
previous months.
Making
love is a wonderful thing to varying degrees, the most obvious miracle a
zillion people experience separately. Sex is near the hub of the wheel. Close
to the centre. Upstream, overlooking a panorama that could make you faint. It
is where male and female meet, where the intensity of feeling is usually
unparalleled during a normal day’s experience. Certainly pleasure comes in many
forms, a continuous spiral of unlimited possibilities. But sex is the most
climactic, most shared, memorable and so often longed for, and sometimes the
most easily accessible.
We
basically did the early era beachside experience. Being healthy, being happy,
being kindly, doing markets, and doing massage. It was an excellent lifestyle
but it all came to a sudden end one night when I went to meet Gail at her
girlfriend’s house but she didn’t turn up so I spent the evening chatting with
her gorgeous friend and ended up sleeping in her girlfriend’s bed. “There was
only one double bed! We didn’t have sex!” I insisted.
“But you
would have if she’d let you!” was something I couldn’t argue with.
I was starting
a media course in the New Year so I moved closer to the college and shared a
house with a solicitor, staying friends with Gail but hardly ever seeing each
other.
Helen had
also moved out of our house and was living with an Afghani. He seemed like a
nice guy selling clothes at the markets and she was getting herself sorted out
so I went to visit them, to give her the ring I'd been holding on to.
Soon after,
she took off to Sydney for a few weeks and came back with an Iranian guy who
was obviously into junk and things were looking bad again, especially when I
got caught in some traffic in town and Helen
appeared from nowhere and grabbed Tina out of the child’s safety seat in
the back of the car. How could I have stopped her? I was straddling a
pedestrian crossing at a busy intersection in the middle of town.
So then I
was having to drive up to smaller Country town
to keep an eye on my daughter outside the hotel while her mother was inside
indulging in whatever was going on. It was a bad time and I was beginning to
get myself into a different kind of trouble because I’d been foolish enough to
think that making a few phone calls to the local policeman could do something
about shutting down the flow of heroin into the town. All I got for my efforts
was the message that if I didn't watch out I’d get my head blown off.
I was even
told to my face that I'd get my head blown off. Must have been popular junky
talk of the time.
I went
looking for Helen one afternoon and found her in the main
street sitting in the front seat of a Holden ute between two desperadoes, one
of whom was in the process of shooting up. I just wanted
her out of there, back home, with us all
together again. But how? I was extremely concerned about everything that was
going on but even more confused about the best way forward.
Things
started happening around the place when a couple of obvious junkies were busted
and one of them bit a cop during the struggle and then told the police he had hepatitis
B.
All of a
sudden the heroin epidemic became local front page news. Helen
told me she had also contracted hepatitis and she looked very sick. Fortunately
the next afternoon she asked me to take Tina because she “couldn't cope”.
I thanked
her for being so sensible, put Miss T into the safety seat,
and immediately drove home to pack the car. It doesn't seem like I cared
too much about what happened to Helen but by
then she was a law unto herself and my primary concern was getting Tina away
from danger. I wasn’t going to have another ‘kid-jacking’. My patience had
worn very thin. Threadbare you might say.
The next
morning I drove north with a couple of friends who wanted to go to the forest
protest in the far north. Usually I do all of the driving but it was a three
thousand kilometre trip so during the early second morning I let Peter
take over. When I woke up I saw he was driving at a hundred kilometres per
hour with the temperature gauge on 'panic!' The car was never the same after
that but I didn't make him feel bad, because I considered him to be a good
friend, whatever that meant.
When we
arrived at the protest camp a big action was in process to try to stop the
local council from putting a road through the national park, to a small town
about thirty kilometres up the coast.
There were
all kinds of excuses put forward for building the road through pristine
rainforest but it seemed obvious that the real reason was to open up a whole
lot of very lucrative real estate. North Queensland was one of the most corrupt
places anywhere at the time.
To check
out the unique rainforest which the council was intending to build the road through
I decided to walk along the intended route.
A couple
of people wanted to come with us; an old friend and a gypsy girl. I knew it
would be a full day so I made sure they were ready to leave at very first
light.
At the end
of the existing dirt road we plunged straight into virgin tropical rainforest
which grew right down to the beach in the many sheltered bays so part of the
way we walked on the beach. There were many hills but it was an absolute
privilege to walk through that magnificent forest.
We each
had a backpack and how I managed to keep ahead with Tina was to sit her on top
of my pack and march on ahead of the others far enough so that then she could
get down to walk for a while until the others caught up. I’d then get going
again with Miss T riding on top of the pack.. Over and over, until we'd finally
covered the thirty-three kilometres and arrived just on dark at my old friend Chuck’s
new house and family. I remember ‘the gypsy girl’ saying to me “I don’t know
how you did that!”
Because of
my previous forest protest experience the organisers asked me to be actively
involved in the protest. I was reluctant because I’d already been arrested at
both of the previous protests and one case was still pending, but, I’d just
finished a video course and there was a broadcast quality camera so I put it
together to record the events. I knew video was important for historical, legal
and safety reasons.
A camp for a
couple of hundred people had been set up close to the end of the existing road.
The main strategy was to block bulldozer access to the forest by burying two
lines of people up to their necks at the end of the road where the virgin
rainforest began. They’d already dug the holes and poured concrete into the
bottoms of them with high tensile chain embedded in it.
Each
morning, if confrontation looked likely,
the volunteers would slide down into the holes,
lock the chains onto their ankles, then have the hole back-filled around them.
One old geezer even had the padlock attached around the base of his balls!
About
fifty police set up camp a kilometre away and waited for the bulldozers to arrive.
There were two, the biggest being a six hundred and fifty horsepower monster
with a blade seven feet tall and seventeen feet wide.
Until then
I’d been setting up the video gear, buying spares and making it work. There was
no mains power so we were very limited in the amount of battery power available
and could only recharge in the evenings.
A local
land-holder asked me if I’d be involved in a stunt to stop the monstrous
machines from getting into the forest. It required a very early morning start
and a long wait in the tall grass by the side of the road.
At about
six we finally heard the bulldozers engines start and after a warm-up they were
easily heard, and felt, rumbling along the road towards us. The first vehicle
in the convoy was a police van and as soon as it had passed my assistant and I
jumped out of the grass and set up the tripod with the camera pointing at the
approaching bulldozers and support vehicles.
A fellow
dressed in a suit, carrying a briefcase, walked out to stand in the middle of the
road blocking the forward movement of the dozer and he was waving a document in
his right hand which was a signed statutory declaration saying that the land
the dozers were on was the private property of the people whose signatures
appeared on the document and they demanded to be asked for their formal
permission before the dozers would be allowed to move either backward or forward.
Within
fifteen seconds the police van had reversed up so I had a screen full of irate
coppers trying to get me off the road and arrest me at the same time while I
was yelling “Press” and struggling to keep the camera focused on the action.
It was a
fun event and we managed to keep everyone tied up for several hours until the
police began arresting anyone who was in the way so the dozer continued into
the national park to where the protesters were dug in.
After
being read the riot act the women were dug out by hand. The police men and
women were on their knees with little plastic scoops taking out a couple of
handfuls of dirt at a time, but once the woman were out an operator moved in
with a backhoe and began digging out the men, despite the danger.
There were
various delays caused by dedicated activists leaping onto the machines and
chaining themselves around the arm or whatever, but gradually everyone was dug
out and arrested. Amazingly, no-one was injured.
When the
protest was over I sold my car and bought tickets to my favourite island. At
the end of the first semester at ‘art school’ the teacher had told me that he
couldn’t teach me anything because I had my own naive style. A good thing
because my lack of formal education
meant that I wasn’t ‘impersonating’ anyone else. Okay. So I decided to
rent an isolated house along the coast not far from my favourite lake and try
again to write the book called Fallen Giant; the manuscript I’d thrown away on
Bangkok.
As it
turned out no sooner were we off the plane than I was asked to do a diving job.
It was only meant to be one dive to find out what was obstructing a pile that a
Japanese construction company was trying to drive into the bottom of the bay so
that they could build a new wharf to better export tropical rainforest logs to
be made into plywood so I said yes.
Immediately
you can see the dilemma that confronted me. I'd just spent several weeks as a
committed activist being part of a protest about rainforest destruction and
there I was being offered money to do a dive for the Japanese planet-rapers. I
needed the money and I loved diving so it is pointless to try to justify myself
any more than that.
The one
day dive turned into a three month project because as soon as I got
down to where the steel tube was sticking out of the sand and pumice I could
see that there was a huge log obstructing the pile from being driven any
deeper.
The method
of construction involved hanging a one metre diameter pipe from a crane and
lowering the end until it settled into the sand and pumice which constituted
the sea floor at that particular point. Once the steel tube was deep enough to
support itself in an upright vertical position a four tonne vibrator was lifted
by crane and attached to the top of the pipe. When the vibrator was switched on
the pipe was vibrated into the sandy pumice until it was so deep that the top
end was almost at the level of the sea’s surface and it became necessary to
remove the vibrator and weld on a new length of pipe.
But there
was not just one log, there were heaps of them. As soon as I entered the water
I could see the entire shore-line was a mass of tangled logs buried in mud,
bark, pumice, old tyres of varying sizes, and lengths of chain and steel cable.
It was
obvious that over time the shoreline had grown with every wet season. The red
earth quickly turns to mud and washes away in the torrential tropical downpours
so typical of the region. The mud had buried the hardwood logs that had bounced
off the barges when they were being loaded. Logs would fall in, mud would bury
them, and then more logs would fall in. A process that had taken years.
Most
people automatically assume a timber log will float but quite a few varieties
of tropical hardwood are so dense they sink. For that reason flat barges had
been used to take the sinkers out to the ships so that they could be loaded by the
ship's cranes. The skidder and loader drivers were generally older guys
perpetually stoned on betel nut so whenever a log fell into the water and sunk
it wouldn't bother them. Out of sight out of mind. There were plenty more where
that one came from.
After
briefing the site manager about the log problem
he accepted my plan for clearing the area so after a few phone
calls to head-office it was confirmed. Everything we needed would be on site
for a tomorrow morning start. All food and accommodation was supplied in a
really cool thatched roof house right on the beach behind a row of she-oaks. My
daughter went to pre-school or was looked-after by the household staff.
Back at
the log dump I organized a crew of about a dozen local guys plus a skidder, a
large dozer, and an aluminium dinghy with outboard.
It was a
really exciting job but it was also very dangerous because I was working with
heavy machinery under water. For a start I wore steel-capped boots instead of swim
fins. To be able to apply strength underwater I had to carry a lot of lead
around my waist.
The first
swim over the site had to be done delicately to try to avoid the gunk being brought
to life by any disturbance of what was essentially a huge compost heap that had
built up over many years. A few steps in the black slime would send clouds of it
spiralling out like cuttlefish ink until the entire area was black so a very
gentle hover around on the surface above the worksite each morning was the best
way to get an over-view.
But even
getting into the water could be a hazard. I usually kitted-up and jumped in
from the beginnings of the wharf at a place close to the van, without thinking
twice about it, but one morning I jumped in feet first of course, but as the
bubbles cleared I looked around and was shocked to see a length of reo-rod sticking
up out of the sand right beside me. A couple of feet to the right and I would
have been skewered. The idea of it made me shiver and I gave the workers a good
talking to about trying to spear fish like that.
As soon as work
began, to get a sling onto a log, or some bark moved, the water began to turn
black, in clouds. Large areas would be black with narrowing windows of
reasonably clear water in between. A bit like flying through a thunderstorm in
an aeroplane.
I adjusted
for the limited, and then zero vision, by forming the strongest mental image I
could from the initial swim-over and placing a few marker buoys. There
was some tidal flow but it was never strong enough to clear the black
water. That only happened overnight.
A lot more
air is used when working hard under water. To check air required the placing of
the gauge on the glass of the facemask, and to dig down to buried logs required
a large fire hose, which was fun to ride around on. I lost my almost new Seiko
solar-powered underwater watch while
digging under a log to shackle a sling.
One
large problem that could cause safety issues. No-one spoke English, the
local guys were stoned on betel nut all the time, and we were working with
heavy machinery in water which was putrid and pitch black as soon as the first
log was pulled. As one log was slung up and extracted it usually pulled several
more up out of the compost heap of pumice, mud, and bark which had been laid
down over a ten year period. Huge bubbles of methane gas poured out of the
fissures. It was very unpleasant and dangerous but also exciting. The only
living things there were the highly venomous scorpion fish that seemed to be
always hovering around whenever the water was translucent.
Three
Japanese workers kept watch and pushed on with the construction while I cleared
the logs away for them. With every pile driven the water was deeper and more
obstacles and bigger logs were discovered buried in the pumice and industrial
detritus, sometimes three or four metres down so I’d have to use the fire hose
to ‘dig’ my way down until I could shackle a sling onto it..
During the
job I’d finally received my first reply to my letters to Helen. She said that
she’d been beaten up in the park and then had an epileptic fit and ended up in
hospital where someone had finally broken through her defiant front and talked
some sense to her. Finally, as she wrote, she'd “realized what a fool I’ve been”.
I felt
that things were going to be getting much better.
I was
really pleased, about the epiphany, not the hospital, and wrote back straight
away suggesting that she should come up to meet us as soon as she could. There
were plenty of small yachts around for sale so I thought it would be a good
idea for us to buy one and go cruising in the Pacific to get away from it all,
if you know what I mean.
Ten days
later I received a letter from Helen
which I thought would tell us the date when she’d be arriving. "Here is a
letter from your Mum, telling us when she’ll be arriving!” I told my little
girl as I came out of the post office but to my dismay the letter simply said
that she’d “met a man to offer me happiness and contentment" and if I
wanted to know more I should ring the following number which I did, back in the
post office, as soon as the initial surprise had passed. If only I’d known then
that I was about to go "from the frying pan into the fire."
I called the number and immediately recognized a distinctive voice. It
was a guy who’d been around the area for years. I didn't know him very well
although I’d admired his talent as a landscape artist. He was the guy who had
driven Helen from Once Upon a Time a long time ago; the day after I’d met her.
I’d heard a lot of strange stories about him but I’d always taken them
with a grain of salt. Gossip is a powerful negative force that I’d always tried
to ignore but all of a sudden he was centre stage in our lives.
Helen got on the phone and talked for a few minutes. Her message was
simple. She wanted me to send Tina down to her straight away. I was obviously
hesitant after all of the preceding dramas and the fact that Tina was as happy
as a lark right where she was so I told her I’d think about it and call her
back in a week with an answer.
The male voice came back on the phone. ”You can do it the easy way or the
hard way! “And then he hung up.
After a week I called back to give my considered reply which was a
definite "No" but when I called the number a message informed me that
the phone had been disconnected. Was that it? I felt a sense of foreboding.
A few days later I came home from work but Tina wasn’t there to greet me.
The house-girl told me Tina’s mother had come and taken her, and that she was
married.
I was unpleasantly surprised to say the least but I sat down and thought
about the situation. Okay, she was married, that had to be an improvement, and
she’d come to her senses. That was also a big relief. If she didn't want to be
with me then that was her decision. I’d been on my own with my daughter for
quite a while, about two years. Two difficult but precious years. It had never
been my intention to be a single parent and the notion of being a free and easy
single man again had its appeal.
I bought a bottle of champagne and went to Helen’s cousin’s place where I
knew she’d be. Upon arrival the atmosphere was a bit tense so straight away I
congratulated Helen on being married and toasted her happy future.
Everything seemed to be good although Helen had changed
so much it was almost as though our daughter didn't really know her mother.
That night we all went out together to the local social club and when I wanted
to go home early Helen asked if she could come with me.
Back at the plantation she went more or less straight to bed so I grabbed
a beer and watched TV. Ten minutes later Helen came back out
of the bedroom.
We talked for a while but I suggested that we wait a few days and let
things settle down before making any decisions.
For a few days I shared a bedroom, and a double bed, with Helen although I
did nothing to jeopardize her new marriage even though I was as horny as hell,
not having been near a woman for three months, and besides I was still
hopelessly in love with her. How much of an idiot I was still astounds me. Why
did I take the idea of her being married so seriously?
We hadn’t got down to a serious talk about the future because there
seemed to be no rush, I liked her being there, and I felt safe because I had
Tina’s passport tucked away.
And then a few days later, while I was working, they were on the plane
and gone, despite the fact I still had Tina’s passport. How she got her back
into Australia without a passport remains a mystery I have never followed up on.
Shortly
thereafter, having removed four hundred logs from the sea
I finally called it a day because I
felt as though my luck had run out. Despite being all kitted-up, standing on
the wharf ready to enter the water, and a functioning gang of helpers at the
ready, I suddenly had a strong feeling that something had changed; so I shed my
gear and drove to the boss’s office to tell him I’d quit “because my luck has
run out”. He was surprised and concerned about finding a replacement but there
wasn’t much he could do about it.
While
still doing the diving job my old boss had called and asked me to take a group
of people to the highlands to climb Mt Wilhelm just before Christmas and I’d
said I would if she couldn't find anyone else to do it.
I saw it
as a good way back into adventure-tourism but I didn’t know at that stage how
long the salvage job would last. She hadn't called back so I assumed she needed
me because she couldn't find anyone else who wanted to spend Christmas in the
bush, so I decided to catch a barge across to the mainland and go up to the
highlands to lead the group. It was still a few weeks until Christmas so I
decided on some adventure beforehand.
I obviously
should have called her first because the trip had been called off for some
reason and she hadn’t called me to tell me so but it is hard to imagine how
primitive communications were back then.
My decided destination was the southern coast of New Britain. It has no roads
but many off-shore islands and they were the main reasons why the area had a
strong appeal for me.
I caught a twin-engine Islander across to Kandrian to see some of the
sailing canoes which were still the usual mode of transport within the clusters
of small islands.
The little plane climbed bravely in heavy rain and flew by instruments
for thirty minutes in zero visibility before the sky finally cleared to bright sunshine
as we descended within view of the sparkling sea along a very beautiful
coastline which we followed back to Kandrian. Below us were many lovely lagoons
and hut-clustered inlets with the green and gold reef showing through clear
water.
The grass strip gave a smooth, almost silent landing after the noisy buffeting
of the wind.
Once my feet hit the ground I set them in the direction of the harbor to
see if I could find a boat sailing soon for the group of islands about fifty kilometres
west, which were the focus of my trip because they still sailed traditional
canoes.
Fortunately, the Department of Primary Industry staff were preparing to leave
for the remote islands to distribute hybrid cocoa seedlings and discuss
bait-fish royalties
The M.V. Didi was loaded and ready for the sea with ten thousand tiny
fish huddled in her shadow. She was a pleasant little boat, about twenty two
feet in length, "solid" plywood of an unknown vintage and a roof running
the full length for protection from the burning sun. The anchor was a
woodworking vice which obviously should have been in a classroom or workshop
elsewhere.
Nonetheless, we cast off only an hour behind schedule, chugged out
through the line of upthrust islands which helped to form the harbor, and
pointed little Didi across the shining sea towards the islands which were still
below the horizon.
The brand new Yanmar diesel generated far more noise than indicated by
its modest size so I chuckled to myself at the steady four knots we were making
until Gabrielle, one of the crew, pushed back his cap and told me how slow she’d
been before the new motor was installed.
Oh well! Melanesian time!
It was a long hot afternoon with the sun finally setting behind distant
cumuli which towered over the idyllic cluster of rain-forested and palm-fringed
islands, I had my first glimpse of the sailing canoes I’d come to see. Three
family groups were gently cruising across the smooth water to a nearby island.
Such a relaxed way to travel I’d never seen before. The small gaff-rigged sails
moved them slowly across a mirror which reflected the passing of yet another
beautiful day.
That night I slept on the concrete wharf of an abandoned plantation where
we’d tied up, and awoke in the early hours to unload the hundred or more cocoa
trees which the DPI was delivering there. As soon as possible I arranged to go
sailing on one of the outrigger canoes pulled up on the beach. The village
stretched away into a picture postcard of paradise.
We soon skimmed smoothly across the bay to Paligmete Island which is set
aside for the exclusive use of pigs, although it looked more like something
you’d expect to see wearing a five star hotel.
As we poled our way windward along the shore for the return reach, the
wind was increased by an approaching storm. The helms boy was hesitant
but I urged him on, unaware of the frailty of the particular rig the canoe
carried. Half-way across the bay the wind became gusty and increasingly strong
until the narrow outrigger began to lift from the water and we all ended up in
the water swimming the disabled craft to shore, laughing together in the warm
green water. Shining black eyes flashing in brown faces showing rows of perfect
white teeth.
When I returned to the wharf a meeting was in progress. Fleets of Japanese
tuna boats fish Nuigini waters and they require large amounts of small
bait-fish which they spray out through nozzles to send the tuna into a feeding
frenzy.
The removal of the dense schools of bait fish from coastal waters has had a
devastating effect on the catch by traditional methods and so the people most
obviously affected by the netting are paid some compensation which enables them
to purchase their own fish cooked, canned, and exported from Japan.
One of the councillors named Bernard invited
me to stay with his family on Pililo Island. His wife Felicitous was away
gathering food from their gardens which they cultivate on the mainland and soon
returned with a large palm-frond basket full of taro, bananas and kumu. She
looked to be no more than thirty five years old, had a delightfully open face
covered by traditional tattooing, and an abundance of beads around her slender
neck. She wore a purple blouse with a few holes in it, a black lap-lap around
her waist, and woven grass bands on her strong brown arms.
We set off to paddle to the nearest island against a slight north-west
swell which was confusing the sea as we rounded a rocky headland so we took a
little water over the starboard gunwale.
Bernard and Felicitous were a real team so with little help from my
paddling we were soon sliding the canoe onto the beach outside their humble
dwelling set amongst a cluster of trees and other thatched houses with
hand-adzed plank walls.
Bernard showed me around the village and introduced me to their seven
children. The eldest about fifteen.
In the middle of the village was a small shrine set on stumps and roofed
with corrugated iron that housed a plaster image of the Virgin Mary hung about
with strings of yellow flowers and frangipanis.
Two ocean going "mons", each about fifteen meters in length
were pulled up on the beach nearby so I stopped for a chat with the men who’d
built them to find out what kind of timber they’d used and how long it had
taken to shape them from the logs. Both hardwoods and softwoods are used and
discarded as soon as they crack or become water-logged. On small islands where
trees are scarce, drifting logs are watched for by spotters positioned in
trees, towers, or high ground.
Other smaller sailing and paddling canoes lined the shore, children
climbed on them and dived from them into the warm shallows.
Dinner was taro and octopus cooked in coconut cream and of course it was
delicious, all fresh and organic. Other foods eaten include sweet potato,
tapioca, and ibica, all kinds of fish, turtle, crayfish, and coconuts at
various stages of maturity, clamshell, dugong, flying fox and pigeon.
I slept the night upstairs in the four roomed house which had the date of
the latest DDT fumigation chalked on the wall. Mosquitoes still feasted on my
soft flesh but nonetheless I awoke refreshed to brilliant sunshine. The village
was being swept from one end to the other by the ladies with coconut frond
brooms. I felt as though I could easily stay for a couple of days but also knew
that there was a boat leaving Kimbe, on the other side of the island, within a
week and I thought it was meant to have me aboard.
There was a severe shortage of outboard fuel so I took advantage of a
canoe which came by midmorning travelling in the right direction along the
coast. It was at least fifteen meters in length and almost two meters broad,
cut from a single log, with a forty horsepower motor attached.
It took two hours to reach Murien village, no-one spoke much. I chipped
in for fuel.
We shared a couple of pineapples and drank some coconuts. The sun shone
brilliantly in a cloudless sky so the occasional spray from the planing hull
was refreshing as the canoe moved across the long low swells much like the
flying fish that were frightened by our fifty foot fish.
The villages facing the open sea were fitted into the small coves eroded
out of the uplifted limestone cliffs and the length of each beach determined
the size and population of the village. We washed ourselves in a pool of clear
water which collected from a spring trickling out of the limestone wall, and
then wandered up through the empty village to where, after climbing a tall
bamboo ladder we came to a school with a grass playing field.
It was graduation day for the schools senior pupils, and some of them
were quite old. They performed traditional dances and pantomimes, and everybody
feasted on fish and vegetables. Trade goods had come with the missionaries so
when the children touched their foreheads they recited "Tru-kai", and
then rice brand "Sun-long" and finally "tinned fish" as a
modern variation on the holy trinity.
Sitting quietly in the shade of a coconut palm I watched the festivities,
feeling relaxed and very happy for these fortunate people who can still live a
simple and good natured life amongst friends they have known since birth. I
dozed and prepared for the six hour walk to the next village, Sara.
An albino man named Edward came and sat with his face about fifteen
centimetres from mine and laughed and smoked and joked as though we were
kindred spirits. It must be hard being a lily-white brown man. It's hard enough
being a brown white man.
I asked Edward directions, shared some sugar cane, gave him a box of
matches, and set off through scattered food gardens and coconut planted
regrowth along the usual twenty centimetre wide path lined with all kinds of
palms, flowering bushes and greenery stretching to the sky, barefoot toward
Sara through patches of mud. In the forest there were plenty of brightly coloured
butterflies flapping about and although birds are not often seen anywhere near
villages due to the custom of firing slingshots at anything that moves, those I
was fortunate enough to catch a glimpse of were all previously unknown to me
and generally of stunning appearance.
After a few hours of pleasant wandering in the silence and almost total
stillness amongst the forest’s endless variety of flowers and trees I came to a
large salty lagoon which merged with the sea through a narrow rocky neck. An
old canoe was moored close to the bank for use by people walking the path so
after looking around for signs of crocodiles I swam out to it, untied the line,
slid in over the stern and began paddling for the small village I could see on
the northern side of the lagoon.
From there the trail wound around and over some small hills and limestone
outcroppings. Many land crabs scurried about on the leafy forest floor which
seemed a bit unusual but I walked on until I came to the edge of a large newly
cleared food garden where some older ladies were working. They wore only
arse-grass and I thought the scene worth a photo if I could get a little closer
without disturbing them but all that I achieved was to surprise a couple of
dogs which seemed not only astounded by my appearance and odour but ashamed of
themselves for not attacking me sooner.
They leapt and barked at my tucked-in form until one of the kids ran over
yelling and waving a yam stake to beat them off. I’ve never liked the idea of
being bitten by dogs, especially where they generally survive by scavenging
offal and excrement, although it is also true that many village dogs are almost
exclusively vegetarian and well able to gnaw coconut out of the shell.
The old ladies were planting corn and sweet potato ready for the monsoon
to sprout them and swell them out. A stout fence made from cut saplings
surrounded the half-acre clearing to keep out wild pigs from the taro and
tapioca.
I thanked the kids, who were still looking at me curiously, waved a
farewell and walked on.
Back in the fragrant safeness of the forest a pied pheasant coucal
whooped from within the branches of a huge flowering tree which had spilled a
carpet of colour.
Late in the afternoon I felt that by then I should have been close to
Sara village so I chose a track heading toward the coast and soon came out on
top of a small cliff above the beach where I could overlook the everyday events
of a picturesque village which like organized human jetsam was scattered along above
the high water mark of a coronas beach, and sure enough it was Sara.
After a warm welcome from a crowd of kids I was shown to the men’s house to
lie down for a rest after the usual preliminary chat about where I’d walked
from and where I intended going. A lot of men and boys gathered in the men’s
house where all single or widowed males live and learn tribal customs. After
I’d told them a few stories the one fellow who could speak English well told me
that it was not so long ago that I would have been in danger walking alone in
the forest.
He interpreted for a wild-looking old man who gave a vivid account of
their first sighting of a “white man”, using his hands, his eyes and an
indefinite amount of seemingly unrelated monosyllables. It ended in a big
contagious grin.
"We saw him coming along the beach. We’d never seen anything like
him and all agreed that we should find out how he tasted!"
According to the tale the fellow was eaten completely, including his
boots (taken with a grain of salt), which they thought were part of him. I
looked around the packed building to find some laughter to break the silence,
"Bel bilong yupela e cry lik-lik?” I asked with a grin.
To most people cannibalism is a shocking practice but many times during
my travels in Nuigini I have discussed the subject with various tribesmen who’ve
unashamedly told me that tradition dictated the killing of men, women or
children from a rival clan as their duty and it quite literally earned them the
right to their share of the earth’s bounty. The body was eaten for other than
spiritual reasons concerning transfer of strengths etc. Many fruits and
vegetables such as papaya and sweet potato which we take for granted are
historically new arrivals to Nuigini, as are pigs, and amongst hunting and
gathering groups the competition for territory had always been a matter of
survival, especially in mountainous areas.
A schoolkid picked up my copy of Shogun I’d taken out of my bag and he
began to read it aloud. The image of that young man reading in the windowless
bio-degradable building with paddles and masks stored above in the low rafters
of the lashed and thatched roof definitely highlighted the essential simplicity
and vulnerability of Melanesian culture.
After a meal of sweet potato and taro which had been delivered to the
men’s house in an enamel dish big enough to wash a baby in we sat around
smoking, talking and chewing betel nut. From the early morning to the last
thing at night there’s always someone chewing betel nut, even when you think
they are asleep. It is a disgusting and addictive habit which causes mouth
cancer but is such an integral part of Nuigini social life that it will resist every
effort by government to stop it. "Our beer!” I’m told.
During the night I was quietly eaten by mosquitoes and slept badly. What
passes for a bed is constructed by laying about a dozen thin sticks across a
frame of three sets of uprights with cross sticks bound with bark. That's it!
Getting horizontal is more like levitation than anything else because the
combined strength of the sticks surely couldn’t be enough to support a human
body.
By first light I was ready to keep walking having decided during the night
to cross the island on foot to see the "Kombe" people of the north
coast on the way back. It left me no time to spend relaxing in the villages
even though the Bishop of Rabaul was due in Sara that morning on a once-in-a-decade
visit to confirm the young people who were Christians.
I finally decided it was time to be making tracks. I’d been giving out
tinned fish, rice and batteries whenever the time seemed right but with the
long trek ahead of me I distributed the last of the canned food and took a few
photos.
The people live a life of subsistence affluence and have never needed to
struggle too much to survive. Life seemed so wonderfully straightforward. If it
is edible, grow it or catch it and eat it; and then wait until you are hungry
again.
It was low tide so the sun reflected off the exposed reef and bleached coronas
"sand". One old guy was eating a cockatoo’s head for breakfast so I
asked him how he’d caught it. He shrugged before telling that after he’d spotted
the bird sitting on a branch he’d climbed the nearest large tree and thrown a
knife through it. Simple!
It’s almost beyond their comprehension when you aren't familiar with
their customs or if you can't prepare a drinking coconut with three sharp
strokes of a bush knife.
Always there were people softly staring. I’d seen a lot of their faces in
masks and carvings. They hadn't seen a lot of white-skins and were curious to
watch how I behaved. Even when I took a pee they’d stand around watching.
Always watching but just out of curiosity. Drinking my last kulau before
leaving I looked up to see one almond eye edging around a seasoned sapling
supporting the raised dwelling. Someone chopped firewood and two piglets
squabbled over a muddy piece of corn cob.
Shells are employed here as scraping tools by the old people who can no
longer chew the "strong" kind of betel nut they prefer. As the name
suggests the nut is the seed of a palm and as it gets older and woodier the
narcotic effect becomes more pronounced. I’d chewed some strong stuff in the
past but for the first time ever I saw that some people even chewed the nuts
when they had shoots and roots inches in length and were as hard as wood.
They taught me the "proper" way to eat taro; in the order of
taro/scraped coconut/taro/scraped coconut etc. They must have all eaten taro
and scraped coconut every day of their lives but still enjoyed it. I could
tell.
One of
the things to get used to when travelling in Nuigini is that people stare
unashamedly, ask any question without hesitation, are always generous, yet have
no qualms about making you the butt of their jokes; if it so happens. There
just isn't the same face-saving protocol as elsewhere. It is clean, honest, and
clumsy but simple because everyone knows where they stand and no-one is immune.
If you’re angry then you are wrong.
I decided
that the time had finally come for me to go. I said goodbye to the people near
me and strolled past some small boys rolling about naked in the sand as I went
on up the steep track to where it joined the main pathway that led to the Pulie
River where obsidian tools eleven thousand years old had been found.
The track
entered the forest and soon there were very few gardens although the ones I saw were very large, well set out, and surrounded by stout
fences. Before long the sky opened and rain fell heavily. I removed my clothes,
stashed them in a plastic bag inside a bilum, and walked naked at a steady pace
through water about ten centimetres deep. The path was on a slight positive
gradient so soon the water ran past my feet carrying mud and small pebbles. It
was still hot though and every leaf shone a brilliant green. It was very
refreshingly beautiful!
Many
butterflies grazed the luxuriant forest, including the majestic bird wing, the largest in the world.
They are so-named because of their particularly elongated wings and strong
flying style. The caterpillars feed on a poisonous vine so they remain toxic to
predators all their lives but because of habitat loss they aren’t often seen
outside virgin forest. For that reason they sell for up to ten thousand dollars
each on the global butterfly black market.
I arrived
in Ipuk village late in the day, much to the surprise of the dozen inhabitants
who were ignoring the downpour and happy to gather for a nice group photo in
the rain before I moved on to Nuwalu; an hour up the track.
That
night I slept poorly in an empty hut without windows or vents for smoke to
escape even though it was necessary to keep a small fire glowing each side of
the bed to keep the mosquitoes down to a tolerable level. I was fairly weary so
I fell into a deep sleep without waking each hour to stir the fire. My dreams
were vivid and varied and during the night I awoke to find myself standing in
pitch blackness without a clue to where I was.
I stood
there thinking. The only clue was the burnt smell and a chink of moonlight
piercing the darkness where the thatch was damaged, and then I remembered,
"Sara, Ipuk, Gerring-Gerring!" so I bent at the waist while feeling around
in the dark for the nearest batch of sticks to carefully lie myself back down
on. It was spooky.
I’d covered
myself with my lap-lap but the mossies had attacked in full force when the
fires had gone out during the early hours so I woke in the morning with so many
bites on my face I could hardly see.
I rose
early, obviously, while mist still mingled with the smoke which seeped out of
the dew-damp thatch. Roosters had been competing since four and pigs squealed
and grunted, fiddling about in the swept-up refuse with their pink whiskered
snouts. A young woman named Catarina held her first born child, its head still
pointed just like her amazing
brown breasts with jet black nipples. Curious designs were tattooed onto her
face and arms.
One of
the ladies offered me a couple of pieces of cold taro wrapped in banana leaf. They
looked about as appetizing as a slice of wet toast on a kitchen sink, but I
thanked her and stashed them in my bilum. After walking continuously for eight
hours I was more than glad to eat them.
The
schedule for crossing the island went around in my head. I was still uncertain
but as long as I reached Gerring-Gerring that night, Lamogai the following day
and then reached the Aria River in time to find a suitable "mon" to
get me back to Garu within two days it would be all right.
I’d been
lucky not to waste too much time walking too far on the main track to the
headwaters of the Pulie River. I’d met some locals at just the right time.
Pidgin is very much a second or third language for real bush people so
sometimes it’s easy for misunderstandings to occur when both parties are being
too polite to admit to limited comprehension. Even the pronunciation of
something as unmistakable as Gerring-Gerring had caused me problems.
I’d point
along the path and ask “Gerring-Gerring? Gerring-Gerring?...” each time trying
a slightly different pronunciation, inflexion, or facial expression but the
gaggle of bush-people almost naked, already surprised to have come face to face
with an outsider, would look at me with uniformly dumbfounded expressions until
the penny would finally drop and they'd repeat the name back to me in a way
which was indiscernibly different. And then we’d all start laughing and every
hand was pointing in the same northerly direction. But how can something as
distinctive as the name “Gerring-Gerring” go unrecognised? Life is
fascinating.
My path
soon turned away from the well maintained three hundred millimetre
"highway". Being used far less the smaller track was overgrown in many
places.
The rain
was fairly constant so I stripped the wet lap-lap from my legs, rolled it
up, and stashed it in the bilum outside the plastic garbage bag
keeping my clothes dry. It felt so primeval walking naked in the virgin forest
slopping along barefoot with mud and multi-coloured leaves squelching up
between my toes and rain pouring down, dripping from my saturated forelock.
Several
hours later, at about the same time as the wild-man fantasy was wearing thin, I
started seeing indications that people were around so I put the lap-lap back on.
And then just on dark I smelled smoke, and sure enough walked into a little
village I just knew was Gerring-Gerring. Yay!
As usual
the people were amazed to see me and soon gathered around to check me out. One
by one they all shook my hands and showed me to the men's house. I was glad to
sit down out of the rain and listen to a talkative old guy tell me something I
really didn't understand. We had a good laugh. They were all smoking bush
tobacco so I got out my little stash and rolled one up. They all smoked
and kept smoking but for me, I was exhausted so I put on my dry clothes and
curled up on a 'bed' of sticks.
By four
in the morning I’d already been awake for an hour and it wasn't raining so as
soon as I could see enough I put my clothes back in the plastic bag and hit the
track. Not far from the village the path began to climb steeply and then
continued following a narrow spur up and down with the sky getting lighter and
the promise of sunshine not a ridiculous dream. The pink clay was extremely
slippery, especially going down steep slopes where razor sharp pieces of
limestone projecting from the clay meant that a fall would be disastrous. I was
walking without shoes and needed to be careful of my feet so the pace was
relatively slow.
Many
kokomos live in this type of forest and it was always a pleasure to hear them
beating their mighty wings amongst the branches of the towering buttressed
trees or from the occasional high point see them flying above the canopy in
their distinctive beak-down attitude, usually in pairs.
Following
the Wasum River upstream meant many slimy single log bridges to cross. They
required a great deal of concentrated effort to negotiate so sometimes I’d find
myself standing motionless for perhaps five or ten seconds preparing for the
next step forward, resisting the temptation to lunge at the far bank. I’d not
seen anyone or sign of habitation for several hours.
There was
one small beautifully built hut along the way so I went inside to rest from the
constant drenching rain. Inside was the usual spartan layout I’d seen so many
times before, but there were also pig hunter’s nets and some black wooden
dishes about one meter in length carved with bird and fish motifs. They were
from Siassi Island, participants in the ancient trading network which transferred
obsidian, pots, ochre, weapons, drums, mats, shells, canoes, dog’s teeth,
tubers, sago, pigs, and even brides between the islands, the north coast, and
into the mountains.
Along the
ridge pole were tied a couple of hundred pig's mandibles, complete with teeth
and tusks which must have taken many years to collect. I ate some delicious
taro and was keen to be on my way again, not knowing just how long it would
take to reach the village where I intended to sleep that night.
I’d heard
the name "Lamagai" several times as I walked ever closer to it, but
as with all places, one could never know what to expect, especially when there
was hardly ever a chance to look ahead from a mountain or across a plain.
There’d
been mention of a couple of men; David and John. I thought it most likely they
were geologists mapping and sampling in the mountains and living in a bush
camp. When I learned that one of them spoke the local language I began to think
that I may spend the evening in the company of anthropologists who could pass
on some interesting information concerning the people amongst whom I was
wandering. But no. Wrong on both counts.
As I
entered the village of Lamogai in pouring rain after six hours alone in the
rainforest there before me was a large non-native structure enclosed by
fly-wire.
I walked
up to the veranda and looked in through the screen door at a blonde woman in
her mid-thirties typing into a computer terminal. I’d arrived at the New Tribes
Mission Centre where four very dedicated and single minded evangelists were
translating the New Testament for the purpose of saving isolated souls.
The night
before I’d dried my clothes over a very smoky fire, and I smelt like it, so a
shower and hot dinner of chili beans were more than welcome. We played scrabble
after dinner and I asked the people about their work.
They were
just one of twenty seven New Tribes Missions in Nuigini, along with a couple of
thousand outposts of the other dozens of varieties of missionaries. They
planned on being busy for another ten years at least, teaching the people to
read and write their language after it had been fully documented and a translation
of the bible completed.
I asked
about the track down to the Aria River where I was headed the next day. They
said that it was about six hours to walk and that some places were very steep
and slippery.
All
materials for the house, including flush toilets and water tanks, had been
carried up from the river by carriers employed from the ranks of the village
people. Thank god for cheap labour!
I slept
like a log and woke very early to a silent Sunday morning house. While washing
my face I decided to get on my way immediately because I was uncertain about
getting the necessary canoe rides along the coast from the mouth of the Aria
river, and besides that, the largest toe-nail on my left foot had been torn and
lifted by some sharp limestone during a slide the previous day and had begun to
throb alarmingly. On leaving the bathroom I discovered that the entire family
was up and about, praying and studying the bible like there was no tomorrow so
after breakfast I headed generally downhill for what I’d planned to be my last
day of walking. My toe was throbbing continually and some kind of liquid was oozing
out from under the nail, mixing with the mud.
The track
passed through impressive food gardens planted out with yams, tapioca, corn and
sweet potato runners which climbed over the axed tree stumps. The path crossed
and re-crossed many streams during this section. At first there were the
typical high set single log bridges just waiting to break my ankle but further
on the stream beds were smooth white limestone with a slippery track cutting
down either side of the stream. Limestone clay is the slipperiest of all.
After
another three hours I came to Buluwatne, a singularly uninspiring place. I’d
passed most of its population on the track heading up to Lamagai for a sing-sing,
carrying four pigs on green poles, and just as many guitars. The village was
almost empty except for some feeble old people and very young children.
Most of
the kids suffered from grille, the tinea-style skin disease which affects about five percent of villagers
throughout Nuigini. It looks horrible but doesn't seem to bother those that
live with it. Even on small babies where it can be seen just beginning the
parents never seem to be concerned to do anything about ridding their infants
of the parasite which burrows around just under the top layers of skin leaving
a pattern like the surface of a brain until the entire body is covered in
flaking skin.
I paid a
young girl to climb a coconut palm for me to get some kulai to drink. She was
very agile and I gratefully consumed the refreshing liquid before sharing the
meat and continuing on my way. They told me that it was still a long way to
walk.
Leaving
Buluwatne the path crossed a limestone arch with a rushing stream passing
beneath it. I climbed down into the cave beneath the arch to have a look but
slipped and almost fell heavily into the shallow water so I decided it would be
wiser for me to just keep moving while I was able to do so. My toe had an
up-tempo throb and the base of the nail glowed red.
After another
three hour stint through heavily timbered hills where the path followed a
gentle winding up and down tunnel carpeted with bright hued leaves and
scattered pods and fruits, the forest opened up and through jagged bread-fruit
leaves I could see the Aria River about two kilometres distant coming from the
south west.
It was a
welcome sight.
The track
dropped over the side of the mountain in a perilously slippery section which
had eroded to become a stream-bed in many places. It was necessary to carefully cross the stone-scoured
gullies but after a further hour at a slow pace I reached level ground and
followed the track along the bank of a slow and murky tributary which looked
like crocodile soup. Because the river rose and fell according to the weather,
the plants, bushes and toppled trees on its banks were all brushed down and burdened
with flood debris.
I came to
an uncompleted canoe which had plenty of signs of activity around it but
without anything that looked like a track beyond. I sat on the gunwale and
peered across at the far bank of the small river looking for the continuation
of the path but there was nothing. I was tired. Determined to keep moving
forward, but the water was deep, very murky, and full of snags.
At
Buluwatne they’d said to sing out loudly when I reached the river. I knew this
wasn't "the" river but yelled loudly a few times and waited for the
reply which would never come. In mild desperation, as thunder continued to roll
across the hills and the dark sky twisted in torment above me, with my toe
beating time, I almost gave in to the impulse to swim across the narrow
waterway as quickly as possible but I determined not to and continued walking
downstream for another kilometre until there was a large tree which had fallen
to provide a bridge on which I carefully crossed.
On the
other bank was a confusion of tracks amongst some overgrown gardens, I really
didn't know which one to follow so headed generally north-west without letting
the sight of ungathered coconuts faze me. Within ten minutes I’d emerged onto
the eastern bank of the muddy, rain-swollen Aria.
Kwako
village could be seen on the inside of a sweeping curve of the river; I yelled
and whistled until a small boy came down the far bank to see what I was. He
untied one of the canoes moored alongside the steep bank and pushed off towards
me. The canoes had outriggers attached and gave me the impression that these
people were fairly recent immigrants from the coast. There are quite a few
place names beginning with "Bulu" so maybe their inhabitants were all
from an island which sank during a volcanic eruption a long time ago.
Dead
leaves spun in the passing whirlpools and I felt a sense of relief to have
completed the walking section of the short journey.
I rested
and watched the beautiful butterflies flitter about amongst stands of bamboo
and ragged cassia while bird-calls exploded from the forest up and downstream.
The sounds of crashing thunder continued as the child maneuvered his canoe
against the current to the bank.
A light
misty rain began to fall but within a few minutes of paddling we were on the
far side and walking into a large but almost deserted village where I rested my
foot on a bed in the spirit house. People gathered around outside to find out
who I was and where I’d come from. One woman was in mourning so she was painted
with charcoal from head to foot, except for her top lip. Very few of them had
ever crossed the island and were surprised by the list of villages I recited.
After
buying a kulai from a young man about ten years old who’d just climbed the
tallest coconut palm I’d ever seen, set within an elegant betel nut grove. I began to discuss
the possibility and price of a canoe ride downstream. The mouth of the river was
still twenty kilometres distant.
All of
the men and most of the women were in the forest catching pigs so the only
available person was a young women with her first born child of eight months.
Moving
slowly, smoothly, silently down the river was a pleasant change from slipping
and sliding along a narrow jungle path. The grey surface reflected clouds,
towering forest giants, slender palms, and the soft cooing of wompoo pigeons.
The chatter of the local language complemented the rhythmic bumping of paddles
against the drum-like hollowed hulls. They shifted water as the wind stirred
the tree tops far above.
We soon
arrived at Bugai village and made inquiries concerning a large old mon tied up
at the landing. "Yes", it would be leaving for Garu the following
morning with a load of copra. I was welcome to stay the night.
The
village had a very muddy centre with many pet pigs rooting about in it. As with
the previous village there weren't many young men present because they were all
out hunting.
To catch
pigs they string out long nets which are made from fibrous inner bark rolled on
the thigh into tough rope. The net is hung from tree to tree around the base of
a hill where they know pigs like to slumber during the heat of the day. The
women approach from the far side making enough noise to drive the startled pigs
down the hill into the net where they are pounced on by the person fortunate
enough to be closest. While avoiding the dangerous tusks, the front legs of the
struggling animal must be held under it, while its rear legs are bound by an
accomplice.
When
hunting cassowaries small boys are placed behind bushes a few meters short of
the net so as the big birds go by the children leap up to frighten them so
their lowered heads go straight through the net and become entangled. With pigs
it’s just the sheer momentum.
It was
four days before Christmas so they were preparing a feast.
I lay
down quietly in the Haus Tambaran
until just on dusk plenty of whooping and singing roused me. A line of about
twenty men and ten women appeared from the edge of the forest with four pigs
tied onto freshly cut poles. The boys were particularly pleased with themselves
and continued to play at spearing and generally harassing the immobilized pigs
which were left hanging upside down from the poles as the men sat, chewed betel
nut and smoked while sharing stories of the successful hunt. One of the pigs
was a huge old tusker with a broken snare wire knotted tightly on each of its swollen
right legs from which it had previously evaded capture. I looked into its fearful,
suspicion-laden eye and we agreed that this time he’d finally met his end
Very soon
the young guys were given the nod and enthusiastically began spearing the pigs through
their hearts with sharpened pieces of hardwood bound to bamboo shafts.
The pigs
writhed and squealed as their blood pumped out onto the muddy ground. Everyone
was hyped-up so as soon as some small fires were lit and fresh banana leaves
laid out, the carcasses were rolled in the fire to singe the stiff black
bristles. Next the beheadings were performed with an axe, and then the
intestines removed and washed.
The rest
of the carcass was quickly dismembered by enthusiastic young men with not very
sharp bush knives. One fellow, a bit overcome by the blood lust, almost cut off
one of his toes and looked very embarrassed by the wound and the pain it was
causing him. Lime and pig bristles were applied to help congeal the blood.
Everyone
in this part of the world carries a knife or axe but no-one ever cuts themselves,
especially when they’re butchering a pig!
I sat
around watching the excitement knowing that within the hour I’d be presented
with a wobbly slab of warm meat which I’d have to eat with obvious pleasure.
The mud and the blood and the pig-shit or yellowed old teeth in severed heads
weren't allowed to affect my appetite.
After
dinner I kindled a small smoky fire beside my bed and lay down with the pain
reverberating in my toe. In the dark, flames from the many small fires shifted
shadows in the high pitched roof hung with nets and masks and pigs mandibles.
Where was sleep amongst the excited babble and commotion?
About four
I was wide awake after catching short snatches of sleep which only lasted until
the fire died out enough for the mossies to get back at me so I sat up and
smoked with some of the old guys.
Them carrying on a whispered
conversation in what I found difficult to believe was a language.
At first
light the old guys took me to an enclosure behind the Haus Tamburan where we could not be
seen by the rest of the village and dressed themselves in the tall pointed
masks and wrapped themselves in the voluminous grass skirt which tied around
their necks. I recognized the awesome duk-duk. The assassin of the secret
society. The Enforcers.
I
strolled down to the river to find out what was holding us up and was really
disturbed to see that the mon had already gone! It would be waiting further
downstream I was told but if I’d known it was leaving I doubt that I would’ve
let it out of my sight. My big toe was like a sore thumb. Throbbing constantly.
Some of the nasty tropical ulcers I noticed reminded me of how quickly
infection takes hold.
After
seemingly interminable procrastination we paddled downstream for a couple of
hours to a place called Okmadoo.
The canoe
leaked so it had to be bailed continually with a coconut shell but as we
rounded yet another bend in the river there against the bank was the old mon
with outrigger and forty horsepower outboard being loaded with hessian sacks stuffed
with copra.
This was
it I thought; I’d make the schedule and get back in time to catch my boat ride.
I had a group to meet in Simbu province and I didn't want to let my old boss
down.
My relief
was short lived though, one thing after another prevented us from leaving and
finally I just accepted the timelessness of the culture and settled down to
some pork, potato and a cup of sweet tea. The poison was in my blood. My head
was pounding.
After
lunch, old John, a former policeman and the headman of the clan, produced for
me one aspro. I gratefully swallowed it and the gap in the pain allowed me to
fall asleep for about an hour and thereby break through the fever which had
gripped my body. When I awoke the bedding was soaked with sweat and I felt cold
and dizzy but soon began to recover my strength and sense of humour.
An hour
later the signal was given to go. We found our places amongst the bundles of
sugar cane and string bags full of taros. The young men pushed away from the bank with
long-handled paddles just as the sky opened and a torrential downpour scoured
the surface of the slow brown river.
John talked
about crocodiles and the time before when he worked in different parts of the
country as a policeman. His Sepik wife and their little girl named Katie were
with him and they huddled under a banana leaf so that it took longer for them
to become drenched. We were within a few kilometres of the river mouth but
pulled alongside a floating log, anchored to the steep muddy bank to form a
pontoon, and climbed up into a village named Taliwage. To buy more fuel I
thought.
I soon
found out we were going to spend the night there so I moved my bilum indoors
where I could read some more of Shogun and escape into a more sophisticated
world. My foot was feeling a lot better but I didn't want to walk around much.
I wished to avoid the constant staring and endless questions which required by
then too much effort to translate. No-one spoke English, I’d come unprepared
for the severity of the mosquitoes and my time was too limited. I kicked a few
of the mangy mutts away with my good foot when the food was brought; and felt
better.
The night
passed peacefully, John slept soundly with his huge frame supported on about
five sticks and as soon as the sky softened I began rousing the others from
their sleep. We had a long way to travel that day and I intended to get there.
Soon
enough we’d fully packed the canoe, ready to go, but to my intuitive consternation
the load had increased from just five forty-kilo bags of copra, to nineteen,
and the number of passengers had also increased to nineteen. You imagine a
canoe carved from a single log with such a load about to head out onto the open
sea and you will know why I felt concerned. There was a flimsy kind of
outrigger but it was obvious the canoe had seen better days and needed repairs.
But, being a strong swimmer I was willing to take the chance.
The river
was perfectly calm and reflective in the soft early light. A faint mist hung in
the rainforest’s top and many fruit bats, some with long tears in the membranes
that are their wings, flew about still finding their roosts for the day. The
deep flapping sounds bounced off the shiny water like applause for just being
alive.
Sulphur-crested
cockatoos screeched while bright red and green parrots spiked the morning’s
peace with their piercing calls and hurried flight. Appearing above one side of
the river before quickly disappearing beyond the other. The sun had broken
through and it looked like we were in for a lovely day on the sea.
Along the
banks of the river were new and old food gardens, coconuts planted for cash
crops, and stands of bamboo; the grass with a hundred different purposes.
Silver clouds hung in the sky already and over the ocean could be seen the
massed cumuli so typical of the wet season which had only recently begun.
Everybody smoked.
John told
a story about one of the clan who’d been dragged into a cave in the bank by a
big crocodile. Although shocked, bruised and scratched by the claws and tail of
the croc he’d managed to escape through a tunnel which surfaced a short distance
inland. Very lucky! As he spoke with his big old hands tremoring we rounded a
bend in the river and felt an oceanic breeze. We had reached the river mouth but
it was still necessary to avoid some huge trees which were snagged on a
submerged outcrop of bedrock.
The
motor-guy and accomplice had already started the motor and clunked it into gear
ready for the transition to ocean.
A few
boats were pulled up on the beach where a pretty village rested lightly on a
high spit of sand. There were people standing there watching but no one waved
or acknowledged the other’s presence in any way.
The river
mouth had a shallow bar and although the swell wasn't heavy, waves were
breaking, and soon we were taking water straight over the bow each time it
dipped into a wave. Two small boys were head-down in the bilge bailing frantically
with coconut shells.
The outboard
had plenty of power to push the slender craft over the waves through to deeper
water, but the general vibe was uncertainty and fear, which I thought premature
considering it wasn't far to shore. But some people of Okmadoo are genetically
afraid of sharks it seemed and many of them can’t even swim.
We turned
north east to run three quarters to the weather at a steady five or six knots. The
day was blue and white and hot but it wasn't long before the wind’s strength
and swell’s size increased enough to cause the outrigger to bury as each swell
wallowed the heavily laden craft. Rain began to fall and the wind gust. White
horses leapt from every wave and we were shipping water regularly as the swell
slowly increased in size. Bailing by the boys was continuous.
Without
warning, about mid-morning, a timber brace on the outrigger snapped off, fell
into the sea and disappeared in our wake. Everyone took notice and looked
worried but John's wife was the only one to begin yelling to the helmsman to
turn back or head for the shore which was only about a kilometre distant but
fringed with un-crossable coral reefs. He ignored her and continued to direct
the helm as best he could to relieve strain on the outrigger.
The wind
and swell continued to build so I kept my eye on the coast planning what to do
when the whole thing broke up. The four year old was the only person I’d have
risked my life to save and it would probably be best to stay holding onto the
hull, if it didn't sink, to be delivered to the shore by the movement of the
sea.
Another
canoe had been lost recently doing the same trip but that had been before the
change of season so the canoe would’ve been blown across open ocean until
everyone died of thirst. There aren’t
rescue operations in this part of the world.
It must
have been obvious to John, the elder of the clan, and naturally the captain of
the vessel, that things were going to get worse before they’d get any better so
he gave instructions to find a gap in the reef so we could do some running
repairs in sheltered shallow water.
The
village chosen was Tarawa because clan members had intermarried there so it was
guaranteed friendly and under obligation to supply the rope required to
strengthen the old tub.
We went
ashore and waited in the shade with about a hundred curious people gathered
around. Some of the young women wore traditional designs tattooed on their
faces and lots of discs and beads and teeth strung about their necks and arms.
By late
morning the job had been completed. It was already midday and we had a further
sixty kilometres of open sea to cover before dark. The volcano that marked our
destination loomed large on the horizon.
After reboarding
the canoe it was decided that we needed more fuel so a collection began and
another hour passed while the fuel was fetched and transferred from one
container to another. My patience was drawn tight but the sun was out and the
surroundings were so vivid and dynamic that it was almost impossible to be
annoyed.
Finally,
the repaired canoe was refuelled and once again we were beyond the fringing
reef wallowing about in a short sharp sea that caused continual stress and strain on the lashings.
The people sat quietly with lap-laps pulled over their heads until the storm
had passed and relief was offered by a few low-lying islands that blocked the
swell for a couple of hours, increasing our speed. Along the shore were some
lively villages with sailing canoes pulled up on the beach.
The sun
burned into us, I wore a hat and pulled a lap-lap over my shoulders but many of
the other passengers lay out in the full sun until dusk; they are tough people
who don't fidget or complain.
As the
sun sank behind the mountains we began to distinguish Garu. It isn't a town or
village but a saw-mill, road connection and loading point for logs destined for
Korea and Japan. Stacked along the beach were thousands of hardwood logs waiting
to be taken to Asian factories for peeling into plywood for formwork.
Large
ships filled their holds and stacked them well above deck. Soon the virgin forest
I’d walked through would be destroyed yet I’d been helping to build a wharf.
When I’d returned from the first trip clean-shaven, wearing a new shirt and
watch I’d been accused of “selling out” and maybe I had but the money I’d
earned would come in handy very soon.
Some of
the richest rainforest was being plundered right before my eyes.
Just on
dark we finally slid up onto the black beach at Garu. A timber truck was
leaving to cross the mountains and I managed to jump on for a ride around Big
Mt Worri where the road fords streams too hot to swim in. I could walk the last
few kilometres back to hot showers and videos. Back in time to catch the barge
to Lae.
I didn’t
know the trip to the mountain had been cancelled because communications was so
much more difficult then. So, completely unnecessarily, as it turned out, I
boarded the Stella Maris for the voyage to Lae.
She was a
steel inter-island barge about forty metres in length; used for transporting
everything and anything around the islands. It was flat-bottomed for getting
into shallow bays. It had a drop-down ramp in the bow for loading vehicles and
containers from the beach.
I
couldn't get a cabin so I bought deck space and tried to make a place for
myself amongst the masses of packed-in Chimbu plantation workers. Chimbus are
tough little mountain people, fearful of the ocean at the best of times.
Because
it was almost Xmas the boat was hopelessly overloaded with families going home
to the highlands for Christmas. The entire country has been religiously
colonised by fifty seven varieties of missionaries.
I staked
out just enough room on the rear deck by putting down something to sleep on but
when I returned from a look around there were already three snotty nosed kids
asleep on it. Ho hum.
As soon
as we were on the sea I knew it was going to be a rough trip because the wind
was blowing hard from the south. Rounding the peninsula pointed the ship
directly into the weather so the flat nose bashed the oncoming swells, one after
another, after another, after another. The entire craft shook and sent a
booming noise echoing through the hold where most of the people were huddled
with their pigs, kids, dogs and chickens. It was an awesome noise. The
reverberating bass thud from the bow beneath the Highlander’s high-pitched
chanting and howling as we beat into an increasingly heavy sea. The kind of inimitable
stuff that makes uncomfortable travel worthwhile.
By
nightfall rain was pouring down and the sea had risen considerably, after each
'boom' huge walls of spray were being blown back onto the expansive rubberized
tarpaulin stretched across the hold from where the mournful chanting of
hundreds of frightened Chimbus was still pouring out, changing pitch in
response to the ocean’s will.
There was
no sleeping that night so I sat on the upper deck leaning back against a steel
bulkhead smoking and talking with a bunch of locals. By early morning we were
in the depths of the weather. Steep, often foaming, swells were running down
the gunwales and along both rails were lines of seasick men, women and children
so the decks were awash with watered-down vomit.
It was
revolting, and even started to make me feel sick, so I borrowed a knife to pick the lock on a storage
room. Inside were stacks of rice sacks and biscuit boxes just right for me to
make a bed and finish reading "Shogun".
I didn't
come back out, except to pee over the side, until we arrived twelve hours
behind schedule, and when I saw the condition of the people and the boat I was
glad I hadn't stayed on deck. A few years later the ship that replaced the
barge, Rabaul Princess, went down suddenly in the middle of the night, drowning
hundreds.
The trip
into the highlands was the usual cramped ride in a mini bus, although to the
first time traveller the trip up the Markham valley would be exciting. A couple
of guys on the side of the road were cutting up a cow which had been hit by a
truck. That meat would be in Goroka market in no time.
All
consumer goods are delivered to the highland towns by semi-trailer and there’d
been a real problem of loads being surreptitiously ‘unloaded’ as the trucks
ground their way up the continual steep grades so every truck was provided with
a person riding 'shotgun' to shoot any wannabe hijackers.
When I
arrived at the hotel in Kundiawa there weren’t any bookings because the trip
had been called off but the boss hadn't bothered to let me know. The stomach-churning
barge trip had been unnecessary but I didn’t really mind. It had been an
unrepeatable experience.
I had a friend
who lived about a hundred kilometres away in ‘Mt. Hagen’ who I hadn't seen for
a long time so I called and he invited me over.
That guy,
his wife, and their six-month-old baby lived about twenty k's out of town in a
surprisingly remote place. There was a village just down the road and the guy,
let's call him Ross, had got himself involved in a big argument with the locals
because one of their pigs had invaded his sweet potato patch and “caused a lot
of damage”. Probably ten dollars’ worth of kai-kai. Ross was in the lucrative
coffee market so I couldn't understand why he was insisting they pay him a
hundred dollars to get their pig back.
The ongoing
conflict had raised the tension which was already high. While Ross was outside
discussing the matter his wife explained to me that she was afraid because when
they’d been away recently some people had broken in, raped the staff, and
ransacked the house. That’s when they’d bought the huge Rottweiler which was
chained up but let loose in the yard at night.
I had the
impression that the wife wanted to go back to New York where she’d been a successful
model. It was a Greenacres situation with bush-knives but dinner was superb and
we all had a good laugh when Ross described a crazy voyage we’d been on
together.
The only
downer was when Ross realized that the villagers had come and stolen back their
pig from right under his nose. He was really uptight about it. Obviously part of a power
struggle between him and the locals, but hardly worth the grief.
His wife
sped up her alcohol consumption from then on and we must have polished off
about four bottles of wine before she started to get a slightly aggressive tone
to her voice when she was talking to Ross so I decided it would be good for me to call it a night and go
sleep in the guest room outside.
A couple
of hours later I was shaken from sleep by Ross. It was pitch-black because the
generator had been switched off when they’d gone to bed and rain was pouring
down. It was obviously an emergency so I had no time to think or even grab anything
to wear so it felt really weird running through the rain into the
house, following a torch beam, completely naked. But, there on the
bed was Ross's wife, also naked, but unconscious, with some vomit on the
bedclothes.
We
carried her out to the car using the torch Ross was holding. As soon as she was
in the car Ross jumped in the driver's seat and sped off down the driveway
leaving me standing there naked in the darkness and pouring rain to shut the
gate to keep in the big black invisible rottweiler all hyped up and barking and
growling and skipping all around my naked self.
I moved
the baby in with me and went back to sleep and to my relief Ross was there when
I woke up at first light. He told me that Lucy had been announced
'dead-on-arrival' at the hospital but he’d insisted the doctors persist with their attempts until they’d
finally revived her. Ross said she'd taken an overdose of malaria pills but he
didn't say why.
After that
unexpected near-tragedy I decided to fly down to Australia to see my family for
New Year.
The diving
job had been fun but scary work so it was the first topic of conversation with
my younger brother when he picked me up from the airport in Sydney. It’s impossible
to use dive tables when working hard under water because so much more nitrogen
accumulates than sports diving, so I’d just had to guess.
And it
seems like I did that successfully because, according to the newspaper, the guy
who’d taken over from me was bent within the first week and had to be kept
underwater all night on pure oxygen and then flown to the nearest decompression
chamber in Nowra, Australia. The Army Caribou had been required to fly very low
to the sea to prevent the bubble in his spine from paralysing him just by it expanding.
Comments
Post a Comment