Chapter 7
Demon’s Teeth
The drive to Sydney took us seventeen hours. I drove while the girls
dozed. And then another ten hours back north after I’d had a sound night’s sleep
at my sister’s place.
The next afternoon
we arrived at the property but it was raining heavily, and had been for days,
so it was impossible to get our things to the house without borrowing the
neighbors four-wheel-drive and when we did get to the house it was such a
filthy mess that Sarina muttered, "No-one could live in that!"
As usual a
squatter had taken up residence while I’d been away so the place was a mess. I
felt terrible that Sarina was seeing my house in such a bad light but after a
few hours we’d cleaned up enough space to sleep and then went to town to a
restaurant where we ate a pleasant meal before returning.
When we
arrived back at the house the rodent-like person who had moved in uninvited was
incredibly abusive and insulting despite having lived in my house uninvited and
without rent for I don’t know how long. It was the last thing I wanted Sarina
to be confronted with.
Finally we
sorted it out and shifted her up to the garage, which was plenty big enough for
her to stay in until she found something else. I was being as helpful as
possible but she wasn’t my responsibility.
Sarina and I
worked methodically to get the place cleaned up so within a few days it was
looking really good. The polished hardwood floor with rich timber tones gleamed
and everything was in its place. It was terrific to have such a lovely lady to
help me, and she was finally looking house-proud.
Naturally by
then I’d caught up with the local gossip concerning Helen. Apparently there had
been more dramas until Helen had managed to ‘disappear’. That sounded ominous
but I was quietly assured by one of her oldest female friends that she was okay
and living quietly in a fairly distant location. The details of which I didn’t
need to know. That news was a relief. That she’d finally made a clean break and
he had no idea where she was. And maybe he’d given up looking.
Despite
growing up in a wealthy family in Cologne Sarina fitted in remarkably well to
the basic rural setting. She quickly adjusted to the lack of electricity and unusual
bathing facilities. We had a big, deep, enamel bathtub with clawed feet out on
the verandah in the sun connected to the solar hot water panel on the roof but
one end was shaded by papaya leaves. It was rather luxurious to lie back in the
warm water within reach of a papaya, or guava, or passion-fruit; just as I’d
planned when planting the trees and vines a few years before. The solar hot
water system had a large, insulated, storage tank so there was plenty of hot
water to keep the tub filled to the brim so moonlight on the verandah was a
special time; the moon so bright it was almost possible to read a book.
It really
was a beautiful place to live, especially after I’d mowed all around the house
and trimmed back some over-enthusiastic plants. Working naked in the garden
with Sarina was heavenly because she was keen to learn everything to do with
growing vegetables, was so lovely to look at, and ready to play whenever I was.
After about
six weeks Sarina got the message from her Mum that she was coming out from
Switzerland to see her. Apparently she’d been told by Sarina's father that she’d
been hauled away to a Hari Krishna cult prison. I looked forward to meeting
Sarina's mother, some sort of money manager Sarina told me, but I knew she
wouldn't be impressed by the ‘country mansion’ so I rented a smallholiday apartment at the
beach for the duration of her stay.
The
mother had a lovely holiday but by the time she’d gone back to Europe we’d
decided we wanted to stay on the coast. I’d started surfing again and the local
school didn't have any of the hippie bullshit, or more importantly, it hadn't
been taken over by feminist fuckwits.
The last
time I'd taken Miss T to our ‘hippie school’ there was a new ‘teacher’ there who
I immediately disliked. She had a
moustache, the bitch attitude, and seemed to have already taken over the place.
We rented
a nice house within walking distance of the beach. Sarina did a hospitality
course while I worked as a brickie’s labourer. We were making some money,
making love, having fun, and my daughter was very happy with her school.
And then I
saw a small article in the local paper telling of an unnamed person being
arrested for firing a gun in a public place. And guess who it was?
As a
matter of fact I found out later that he’d been arrested on two consecutive
days for firing rifles in the
street yet he was still on the loose! It didn’t make me feel too good I can
tell you that.
The first mistake
I made was ringing the police to ask if they could assure me that the fellow
mentioned in the newspaper didn’t have any more firearms. I hadn't realized how
much animosity I’d cause by asking that question. Obviously they didn't want to
have to go out to his place looking for weapons. It could be dangerous; for
them.
A few days
later, working on a building site, I was buying my lunch in a local shop when I
saw a row of knives displayed along the back wall and one of them for some
reason had a tag with my first name on it. I asked the guy if he would remove
the tag and he asked me why. "Well, there’s a crazy guy who lives nearby
who might see that and interpret it as some kind of message that the knife is
intended for me.” I replied.
"I
think I know the person you’re worried about." he replied as he tucked the
tag in behind the handle. And he was right. But he also told me that there were
some old buddies of Dogface coming up from Sydney to take him off to the
nuthouse for his own good, so I felt much relieved, especially in comparison
with the news that I’d received the previous day from a guy who’d been to look
at his house, which was up for sale. He said that when he went inside, Dogface
was there but almost oblivious, sitting in amongst dirty dishes used as
ashtrays that looked as though they’d been there for months. But most importantly
he said there was a poster on the wall. A picture of a shotgun, looking from
the trigger end, and on it was a list of names written in text a,
with mine on the top. Beneath the weapon was written, "These people must
die, from the front or from the back!" So I was suitably nervous. The
assurances that he was being put away only half assuaged my fear.
That
afternoon I went shopping with my daughter, in a state of false security,
because instead of him being taken to the nuthouse by “old mates” he’d escaped
from them and taken off looking for me with his brain spun out from the high
frequency sounds of the two-way radio and power tools of the builders who’d
suddenly appeared next door to him a few days before. I was told he’d been
running a cement mixer with bricks inside to keep himself awake all night for
some reason. The end product of countless hours of a paranoid hell.
Tina and I
were walking along the footpath towards the supermarket in the main street when
the fuse reached the powder. I looked up and saw him running straight at us
with kaleidoscopic murder in his eyes. Not slowing down.
I had only
enough time to push Tina inside the doorway of a café, out of the direct line
of fire, before he struck with a vengeance, unexpectedly latching onto my face
with his teeth. Straight under my right eye where the cheek is the thickest his
jaw was clenched, with my face firmly held between his upper and lower
incisors.
The shock
and pain were terrible, but the realization that he had no intention of letting
go brought about a profound increase in focus.
Although
I’d known that person to be overwhelmed by pain and anger built up during a
life of personal disaster caused by alcoholism and the violence it engendered,
which had caused him to be estranged from his own children, in those few
seconds while he bit into my face I realized I was also dealing with an extra-human
phenomena. As his forehead almost pressed on my face I saw with my high eye
that on his scalp down in amongst the thousands of hairs was a pair of insectoid
creatures standing with their forelegs interlocked looking out at me, grinning
and rubbing their tiny claws together. I was experiencing a vicious
manifestation of evil on a mundane plane. He was the curse of the mother-in-law
slipped between the elements, squeezing through like a cosmic hernia.
I managed
to land a few punches with my left arm straight into the side of his head,
aiming at his ear, and then a final wallop. The instant he flinched I tore my
face away from his jaws and started swinging, flailing really, he was holding
my shirt, so my arms were poorly proportioned for such close contact.
A few
punches landed on the side of his head and one right in his eye socket but he next
latched onto my forearm with his teeth and once again hung on like a mad dog. I
was sure I’d already lost a chunk out of my face, then it was my arm, what
would I lose next? My nose, an ear, a finger?
I cried
out for help to draw attention as a wave of panic flushed through my body and
my mind spun and reeled at the almost instantaneous and horrendous distortion
and outgrowth of reality. I was in a bubble with a demon. I could see blurred
images of the other world beyond but we were in the magic bag together,
although, except for flashes, I couldn’t comprehend the majority of blurred strobe-like
sensations.
Finally,
one powerful punch straight to his face fuelled by desperate desperation broke the
grip of his teeth on my arm. For an instant, after the quickest glimpse at the
wound, I paused in relief and situation adjustment but then spun
around just in time to see him swinging a cast iron chair over his head,
already coming down, and aimed at the back
of mine. I leapt aside as the chair swung down to hit the sidewalk and bounce
away.
Cars were
passing on the road beside us so I thought, as much as I had time to think, that
he would pursue me into the path of a passing car, but no, a new dimension of
terror gripped me as he bolted in the opposite direction, into the cafe to grab
my child; with me chasing hard.
One woman,
the only bystander to offer any assistance had thrown her arms around Tina when
she saw him rushing in towards her and for her courage was grasped by the hair.
She lost her footing and with her
screaming he gripped Tina by the arm with
one hand and with the other held the woman from falling to the floor by pulling
on her ponytail. People were already getting up from their tables and stumbling
back away from the violence.
Everything
was happening so fast and so desperately that for a second I wasn't functioning
properly or comprehending clearly. I shouted the plea, "Let her go, please
let her go!" but he hung on to both of them in his insane frenzy.
I picked
up a spoon from the table at my side and almost stuck the sharp handle into his
ribs but stopped myself from doing it. I’d never been able to rouse the
heartless beast within me so I threw the spoon aside. I should have stabbed him
with it. I should have stuck it straight
into his eye.
It
occurred to me to cut her hair off to release his grip, although the confusion
of arms had caused me to mistake the hair of the heroine with my daughter’s
completely different colour hair. Hard to imagine being that confused but it is
indicative of the overwhelming and ongoing shock.
"Throw
me that knife" I yelled to a woman at the nearest table people were
backing away from.
"You
can't do that!" she screamed.
Both she
and Dogface had misinterpreted my intention,
which was enough to make him release his grip and look my way – the fear of having
a knife stuck into him.
My
greatest fear, after being bitten twice myself, was that
he was going to bite off Tina’s nose or ear or something, so as
soon as he looked up to see ‘the knife’ I landed my knee into his face and then
my foot straight after and pulled my daughter away as he toppled backwards.
“You guys!”
Iyelle data couple of young men, “Quick!
Grab him!” I told them.
Two men
jumped onto him and gave me enough room for us to escape through
the cafe toward the back door of the kitchen, but in my panic I couldn’t find the
rear exit in the few seconds I had so I hid Tina beneath a bench in precarious
safety and spun back to face the door.
I knew it
would only be moments before Dogface
would break away from their attempts to restrain him. There were knives all
over the place and I felt as though our lives could very soon be over if I
didn’t completely commit to bringing him down.
There was
no room for expectations of mercy or compassion from a person possessed by an indescribably
primitive demon. The evil force I’d glimpsed through slight misalignments of
simultaneous realities wasn’t subject to earthly restraint.
It was here, hidden within him, but we
were there, together. Fighting
for our lives in full view of the earthly spectators oblivious to the gross
subtleties..
I leapt
back across to the kitchen doorway to prevent him broaching the entrance but as
I arrived at the opening he had the cash register held above his head and he
hurled it at me with all his madman's strength. Café customers could be seen in
the background, pushed back against the wall in horror. I ducked aside
instantly knowing that I was on my own in defence of my child and self as the
register flew by, spinning as it did, just over my right shoulder, smashing
against the wall before skidding across the floor.
Our lives
were on the line. In one step I was through the door and fending off a tray of
coffee cups thrown at me. Another item missed my head as I ducked behind the
espresso machine and he lunged forward to push it onto me; I was looking
straight into his eyes, those mad eyes that contained three worlds and changed
a million shades when the machine didn't budge; because it was bolted down.
In that
instant I pounced onto the counter and hit him straight in the head with my
right fist and followed through with my entire body as I launched myself onto
him.
We fell
across a table, which collapsed under our weight and made an uncomfortable
landing place for Dogface face down on
the hard floor with me on top pinning his arms with my knees, his face turned
away from the expected blow.
A
broken-off table leg was beside his head but I restrained myself from picking
it up and smashing his skull. I was extremely frightened, shocked to the core
to be accurate, but my only intention was to
escape with my child in one piece. Having experienced the dilemma of trying to
protect her and defend myself simultaneously I was satisfied to simply run with
Tina, scared but unhurt. Why I didn’t whack him, hard, once, I’ve asked myself a million times, but escape was the absolute priority.
"Help
me!!” I yelled at the perimeter of astounded people. Some females screaming. My
confidence in continuing to restrain him was minimal; the biting had added a
new dimension to the concept of attack. My confidence in the willingness of
others to apply themselves properly to helping us was diluted by the
realization that they were understandably afraid and unsure of what was
happening.
The same two
men did help though, and pinned him down while I ran into the kitchen, scooped
my brave but tearful little girl into my arms and we ran for our lives out the backdoor, down the
arcade and into a dress shop to hide and recover my breath. It had been
horrible and I was unsure that it was over until heard a siren, and a few seconds later we got right
out of there.
Fortunately
he was held until the police arrived minutes later. We were already on our way
to the hospital for treatment. That night I made a statement to the unfortunate
policeman who’d done the undesirable deed of carting Dogface
kicking and screaming to the psychiatric clinic where he was locked up.
Once
there, and for the next few days, so I was told later, he continued to curse
and threaten everyone, to say that he would kill them and cut their children’s
throats.
Six days
later, a magistrate convened a special sitting at the clinic and it was decided
that he must stay confined to the clinic for at least three months before being
re-assessed and if found to be rational, he would then be liable to face
criminal charges of assault occasioning grievous bodily harm, two more counts
of assault, damages to the cafe of almost three thousand dollars, discharging
firearms in a public place, and the cultivation of opium poppies. That gave me
some confidence.
Unfortunately,
after spending the afternoon revelling in the good news that I had at least
three months breathing space, about ten o'clock I received a ‘confidential
call’ from a nurse at the facility summarising the sadistic slaughter he had
planned for me and the warning that he’d escaped from the clinic at about eight
that night and the police were searching for him.
By two
I was the only person awake in the house. All windows and doors were locked and I satin a dark corner holding a
solid hardwood staff as a weapon, though doubted that he’d be able to travel
the forty kilometres to carry out his many threats to kill me.
Nevertheless
I was nervous and wished that none of the misfortune had complicated my life or
my daughter’s. Or Sarina’s. She was a very strong child and seemed to be
bearing up to it all fantastically well, but the unknowns were awesome.
Would he
find a weapon? Catch a ride? Contact some crazy crony? The night was long. Turn-world-turn
was my mantra as I waited for the sun to rise again.
The police
hadn't informed me that he'd escaped from the clinic, and just as importantly
they hadn't told me he’d been picked up just before sunrise, only eight
kilometres away from my place. He’d travelled about thirty kilometres during
the night, in the clinic's pyjamas.
During
the previous few weeks I’d learned where Helen was and spoken to her on the
phone a couple of times. As predicted she was close to Cairns, but living on a
fruit farm about twenty kilometres to the south, and keeping very much to
herself, so after that long tense night I decided the only fair thing to do was
get Tina out of the problem so I put her on a plane that flew her up to her
mother while I waited for the court case. After all of the custody drama it may
seem strange that I sent Tina up to stay with her Mum but it had always,
primarily, been about keeping Tina safe from Dogface.
I then
began to put together evidence so when Dogface came to court in a fortnight I
would be ready. I wanted to see him put away where he belonged. He was already
in a real jail on remand but I wanted him to stay there. You may think I was
being harsh but you’ve probably never been bitten on the face or seen your
child so terrified.
Unfortunately
I didn't take the advice I was given, to begin civil action against him because
I thought the legal system already functioned to bring about just resolutions.
I didn't understand the law very well at that stage and I still underestimated
the ability of the local police to be complete arseholes. They hadn't forgiven
me for asking the boss at Country Town to make sure that Dogface
didn’t have any more guns. I’d found out that one of the cops in particular was
an old buddy of his from way back, but he did live to regret that. He spent two years out at Wagga-Wagga,
a town on the dry western plains so boring that they named it twice. Not a good posting for a cop who
likes to surf.
So court
day came and I was ready to show my evidence to the judge but to my dismay I
wasn't even allowed into the courtroom and at the last minute his counsel
pleaded guilty, assuring the court that the firearms had been discharged in his
own yard and at no stage was anyone at risk. I couldn't believe it. Just a week
before one of the guys who’d been DF’s "friend" had told me that he
was the target and there was no doubt that Dogface was trying to shoot him, so in fact he
should’ve been tried for attempted murder. If that cast-iron chair had
connected with my head I’d be dead for sure.
So, one
more example of "justice", as Dogface walked out of court with a five hundred and
fifty dollar fine and a bond which stated that he could not make any direct or
indirect attempt at contacting me or any member of my family. As if that was
going to work. Slowly I was realising just how useless the legal system really
was.
I asked
the cops if they could guarantee my safety if I stayed in town, "Well, we
can't have a twenty four hour guard on your house." they answered.
Just as
we were about to leave some guys from police Internal Affairs arrived at the
house to ask a few questions. I told them I was leaving town because I feared
for my safety, and mentioned the special relationship between ‘the cop’ and
Dogface, and they seem interested.
It was
great being on the open road again, just the two of us. The ute was fully
loaded but we
were just cruising, and camping
at isolated beaches. It was so Australian.
It felt
good to be away from the dramas. I was a lucky guy to have such a beautiful,
devoted young lady beside me on those long boring stretches of highway.
Helen had
invited us to stay at their house until we got ourselves organized so that is
where we were headed. She was living on a really nice farm with acres of
orchard surrounded by tropical forest-covered hills in the distance. Tina was excited to see us.
She’d been having a fun time staying on the farm. The house was a bit grubby
because of the red earth and the focus of the work day being outdoors, but
overall it was a pleasant place to live and the guy Helen was with was a
hard-working down-to-earth kind of dude whose parents owned all the land.
Tina was
running around the orchard enjoying the open spaces. There was a tractor and a
few motorbikes.
Back in
Cairns I starting driving the backpacker bus up to Cape tribulation. Every day
one, two or three busloads of backpackers went to a fairly remote backpacker
place and many of them were in my hands.
I enjoyed
working with backpackers because they were young people from all over the world
just wanting to enjoy themselves. I’d first been to the cape in nineteen-seventy
when it was still only a dirt track but I still enjoyed every trip up there
because it is such a beautiful place and the dirt road winds through the
rainforest over a couple of small mountain ranges and the conditions are so
variable.
One of the
casual drivers was an interesting young guy who was doing a university degree
through James Cook uni in Townsville and while we were playing chess he
suggested I study something so I enrolled in an Asian Studies degree specialising
in all things Indonesian. Originally gone there for surfing but had gradually
become interested in the history and culture that was all around me, all the
time. James Cook had a ’sub-campus’ in Cairns so I went along and signed up to
begin a BA Asian Studies. It was exciting.
Although Tina
stayed living with her mother she came to us every weekend. We had an apartment right on the
beach. Close by a guy rented jet-skis which were a lot of fun. I bought a four-cylinder Kawasaki
which I used to drop Tina off each early Monday morning. It was an enjoyable
ride of about forty kilometres.
It
wasn’t until I was at a party that Helen was also attending that I
realised how much alcohol was effecting her. Early in the night she was
laughing and enjoying herself but she became increasingly aggressive the more she drank until later she
was in tears and being restrained by her boyfriend. I felt quite concerned
about her. The boyfriend seemed protective of her but on the two occasions when
he came to visit with Helen he stayed in the car. The first time I went down to
invite him in. I thought he must just be shy, but he mumbled something about
not using Helen, that he wasn’t just using Helen, whatever that meant, so I
took it in my stride.
One night
Sarina and I had been to a party, and had a great time, but when we arrived
home in a taxi about midnight we heard what was obviously a very loud party
just across the road from our place so we decided to drop in and visit our
‘neighbours, being still in the party mood and dressed in party-style clothes.
The house
was a typical Queenslander, set high off the ground, but as we began climbing
the front steps some people emerged from around the side of the house and
instructed us to go that way. Which we did.
We got a
huge surprise when we reached the back corner of the house pushed aside a few
fronds and caught our first glimpse of the party.
Both
backyards of the two houses were joined and there was a stage at each end, one
supporting a band and the other hosting ‘go-go’ dancers. The entire area was
filled with full-on patched-up bikeys, either Comancheros or Bandidos. Whoa!
Scary!
We must
have looked so out of place being dressed in tropical party clothes but we’d
broached the portal so there was no easy way of turning back. I
was trying to work out the best thing to do when, “Sarina!”
a bold surprised voice exclaimed.It was a woman she’d worked with behind the bar at the Hides
hotel.
“Hi
Crystal, wow, you’ve lost a lot of weight.” replied Sarina as we walked over to the cluster of people she was with. I felt slightly more at ease actually knowing someone
there but it certainly wasn‘t my natural habitat and we must have
looked completely out of place.
To escape
the limelight we went under the house to look at the most beautiful motorcycle
I’d ever seen. A gold Harley done ina very tasteful style. The owner was
proudly showing it off to us when Sarina asked about the long scar down the
side of his face. “No need to talk about that.” he said gruffly, “Except to say
both of ‘em are dead.”
After a
couple more scary introductions we eased our way out and went home but I couldn’t
sleep and came up with the craziest idea, even crazier than usual; to see if I
could find a bikie willing to kill DF.
It was a
completely mad idea borne of desperation but I dressed more appropriately and
returned at three a.m. to a completely different scene. AC/DC was still blaring
out of some huge speakers but the stages were empty, most of the people were
gone, and there were some angry exchanges coming from the far corner.
Somehow,
after being handed a beer I was talking to a tall guy who seemed to be the type
of bikie I could relate to. Not the gross, obnoxious, cretinous type but I
still shouldn’t have asked him about how it might be possible to have someone
disappear. “Man, you got balls asking a question like that.” he said, genuinely
surprised.
“Yeah,
yeah, sorry. I’m just so desperate. Please, forget everything I said to you.
It’s late. I’m crazy. Time for bed.” I replied, some percentage of the enormity
of what I’d just done quickly sinking in. “Best I go home to bed”, I continued
as I turned to leave but a really chunky bull terrier was standing on the path quietly
growling at me. My nerves were completely jangled but I finally got out in one
piece and returned to my peaceful bed with Sarina sleeping silently beside me. If
it ever came to that I’d have to do it myself. Like winning custody, nobody
cared more about being successful than I did.
Life went
on but on the Monday morning when I was getting ready to take Tina back to her
mother Tina asked if she could stay with me, permanently.
She said her Mum and the boyfriend watched horror movies all the time and she
got scared. She also told me they had lots of fights. I’d learnt that her
boyfriend was on parole for something and Helen had told me that when they were
driving home from the local pub the police had pulled them over but the
boyfriend had got Helen to quickly changed seats with him so she was the one
that was charged with DUI. It sounded really unfair and she lost her license as
a result.
I told Helen what
she’d said, and she didn’t deny it, but we all agreed that Tina would stay where
she was until the end of the school year, which was only a matter of weeks
away. And it was the end of first year uni.
So soon
enough Tina was back with me, by her choice, so I didn’t see so much of Helen although
I did hear that she’d smashed the headlights on her boyfriend’s ute to prevent
him from leaving and the parents’, who owned the farm, had
kicked her out. A few days later I heard that she’d been involved in a scuffle
outside a hotel in Cairns. She obviously shouldn’t have been drinking. It
brought out the worst in her. Soon enough she’d disappeared off the scene and I
didn’t go looking for her. She’d become so exasperating and we were keen to
just live quietly.
Soon after
Sarina accepted an invitation from her mother to spend Christmas with her in
Switzerland so I dropped her at the airport and got used to being alone with
Tina, which gave me more time to wonder what our enemy was up to. I’d heard he’d
been putting up wanted posters around the place and Helen’s mother had received
a letter from a solicitor adviser her to get Helen to contact them if she
wished to inherit some money due to her.
DF had had
a taste of jail and he was on a good-behaviour bond but during the previous
months I’d become very reactive to seeing blue Ford Falcons so when I caught a
glimpse of the yellow number plates on one which had turned right at an intersection
a couple of blocks away. I rode around town a few times with the intention of
getting a better look. I was feeling
suitably anonymous wearing the full-face helmet but when I did see the car
again, pulled up outside the city markets, there was no doubt that it was him.
Ass-hole!
I was
about eighty metres away, my heart beating faster and a sour taste of
exasperation in my mouth, but as I focused on his profile he swung his head to
look right at me, as though he knew it was me inside the helmet, behind the
shades, looking at him.
I knew he
couldn’t recognise me from that distance although body language can be an
effective form of recognition, even when sitting still, but he knew I liked
riding motorbikes, so it was time to get out of there.
Time to
get out of Cairns. Maybe time to leave the country if my repeated efforts at
‘disappearing’ still weren’t working out.
Mr Ambush
wasn’t going to get us again.
Touching
the electric start and engaging a gear zipped me through the Saturday traffic until
cruising along the main road out of town at a steady sixty, then eighty until one
hundred for several kilometres before turning off down a connecting road that
dissected a couple of thousand acres of full-grown sugar cane before reaching
the little ‘suburb’ at the base of the mountains where we lived. I was
obviously thinking about what had just happened in town. That was definitely DF,
his car, his head, so I was going to have to do something serious, but whether
to lay low, stay at home out of sight in the hope he’d get tired of looking for
Helen, or us, and go away, or should we leave town altogether, again, and find
another place, and see how long that would last.
I didn’t
know where Helen had gone so I didn’t know how visible she was being; or even
if that’s why he was here. Word-of-mouth was the worst element of having ‘belonged’
to a semi-nomadic subculture, to the ‘tribe’, because wherever I went I
recognised people and they recognised me; or Helen. It only had to happen once
and our secret location was on the grapevine and DF used
that to his advantage by putting up crude wanted posters, offering rewards, and
engaging a private detective who knew who to bribe to get ‘confidential’
information.
A lot of
friends knew some of what was going on with DF but to a casual acquaintance who
I’d maybe met at a festival or picked up hitch-hiking, a simple, “I heard he’s
up in Cairns” would be, and it seems have been, enough to send him looking in
that direction.
It was a
watershed moment. My patience had been stretched as far as it would stretch. I’d
really tried hard to disappear, within reason. I wasn’t going to live in a cave
in the desert, and here he was again. From what I’d been told by a reliable
source he was too paranoid to go in a plane so I decided it was definitely time
to escape from Australia altogether. My attempts as eluding him had repeatedly failed
because we were always places he could drive to. And the police had shown
themselves, repeatedly, to be worse than useless. If it wasn’t for the police
and contradictory laws I could have turned the tables on him long ago. To hunt
HIM, and kill HIM, had become something quite often on my mind. The situation
had become deplorable. My only avenue was escape O/S.
One high point from that time was a letter from Elsie saying how glad she
was that I had won custody of Tina. It felt good to read that. Being a
single-parent of a girl caused a lot of people to ask me where her mother was,
as though she had to be a bad person if the father had custody. It was a really
sexist attitude but not unusual. I realised then how much guilt I’d felt not
having her mother with me to share in all the fun things.
I had replied, to Elsie, by calling her to tell her how much I
appreciated her letter, and finished off the conversation by reminding her that
she hadn’t lifted the curse she’d put on me. It was as though she’d forgotten
all about it, she apologised, and we signed off on good terms.
As I was
thinking that, cruising along the gravel road, I heard an unusual sound that
sent my eyes straight to the right-hand rear-view mirror. Squealing tyres and a
bit of a bouncy sound alerted me to a vehicle which had just turned off the
highway onto the gravel road behind me; and it was Dogface! Or someone in
Dogface’s car, driving like Dogface, and catching up to me too quickly as I
changed down a gear and wound up the throttle. The bike was quite fast but so
was the car eating up the space between him and me. As though he’d had some
work done on the motor or something.
I leaned
into the wind and rode as fast as I could considering the loose gravel surface but
he was catching me and I didn’t want to be leading him toward our home so I
pulled what could only be described as a stunt by suddenly taking a last-moment
left turn onto a secondary ‘track’ used by cane trucks and other machinery.
Surviving the corner without falling down was encouraging, especially as DF
locked up and slid past, but as I caught a glimpse over my shoulder I saw he
was rapidly backing-up and very soon was onto me again; only about two hundred
and fifty metres behind.
I wasn’t
sure where the track was going to lead me and there were many bumps and
depressions made by tractor tyres still full of rainwater so I’d had to dodge
the holes and slow down on the slippery uneven surface, but not DF, he was
coming at me oblivious to the conditions, the car bouncing and sliding and sending
up sprays of muddy water which splashed across the windscreen as the wipers
pumped back and forth making his ugly face appear to be rocking back and forth
like a crazy clown recognisable through the smeared blue-pole glass.
That face
I’d never wanted to see again was coming at me like a whirl-wind of evil
intentions and I had only moments to find a way to avoid it without falling,
because obviously that’s what he wanted; to drive right over me. To mash me to
mush beneath his car.
I rode as
ridiculously fast as I could but not too far ahead there was a T-junction. I was
trying to decide whether to turn left or right but DF’s Falcon was getting
horribly close, much too close for me to slow down even half enough to attempt
a ninety degree turn either way so I just kept the power on and went straight
ahead with my backside lifted off the seat, taking my body-weight on the foot-pegs,
getting a lift from the berm along the edge of the perpendicular dirt track and
flying high across a decent size irrigation ditch and landing in the tops of
the sugar cane, separating from the bike and tumbling through the air and bouncing
through the cane stalks until I finally came to a halt on the ground amongst
the clumps, scratched, bashed and a bit stunned but also still scared so I
jumped up and went running along the narrow space between the rows of flowering
cane, unsure of what had happened to DF.
Being able
to hear a revving engine I roughly knew where he was, the car at least, but
fortunately unable to see anything but metre after metre of tall cane stalks
and the millions of broad grass-like leaves that provided me with cover as I
sprinted along with the one intention of getting away from Dogface and getting
us out of Australia as soon as possible.
Fortunately
Tina was at home so after a quick shower, dressing in suitable clothes, and packing
a couple of small bags we took a taxi to the airport and caught the first plane
out; not looking back, except to make sure we weren’t being followed. I hadn’t
even considered calling the police because by then I fully knew they were more
trouble than assistance.
The first
plane only took us to Brisbane but there we waited overnight and got on the
early-bird to Bali. We endured the usual tedium of travel but Bali was a blast
from the moment we walked out of the air-conditioned airport. Free-dom!
We taxied
to our usual budget hotel, dropped our bags and changed into shorts and
tank-tops to hit the beach where we spent the afternoon in the water getting
used to the heat and humidity, and soothing my bruised body. The place was, as
usual, so friendly and familiar; eating in our favourite restaurants and
playing chess with the car rental dudes the days soon began falling one into
another.
I was
going to continue to have Austudy cheques go to my old address, for the
present, and I had someone to bank them for me, but, I obviously had to come up
with a way to make enough money to live on because we were there indefinitely.
As a
gamble I photocopied three copies of a small collection of stories I’d been writing
and added a cover created by blowing up a detail from a Cambodian bank note I
just happened to have with me and adding some funky text.
With three
copies of the ‘book’, titled ‘Transience’, I went to the beach and it only took
me an hour to sell all three; with a money-back guarantee. Before I’d spent the
money I went back to the photocopy shop to use some of the capital for another
edition to be picked up the following morning. As long as we kept our expenses
low and I sold at least ten ‘books’ a day we could survive.
Day to
day life was focused on the beach. We’d hired a couple of boards and Tina was
getting pretty good already. Being primarily a parent obviously meant that I
couldn’t go drinking in nightclubs but I had no interest in that anyway. After
eating in one of the numerous cheap restaurants, or from the cholera-carts that
lined the street after dark, we returned to the hotel and hit the sack ready
for the early morning surf. And we always had books to read.
Pretty
much first light we’d head to the beach with our boards.
I wanted
to keep studying, and I wanted to remain eligible for Austudy to keep the
cheques coming. I’d contacted the university to ask if I could continue
studying externally and they were very friendly
and bent over backwards to accommodate a single parent, especially a single
father because I was still a bit of a novelty. As for Tina’s schooling, I just
had to put it on hold temporarily but taught her whatever she wanted to know,
and she was always full of questions.
“I
remember you!" a beach hawker had said first day as she smiled at Tina,
and it got me thinking. Unsurprisingly, we were familiar faces to quite a few
people. It was good because the locals always gave us the right price but that
recognition gave me the idea it was better to move away from the tourist area.
Call me paranoid but I had no idea of what to expect from DF.
Better to
find somewhere really quiet, away from the tourist areas. Dogface had used his
money to pay private investigators and a series of solicitors, and of course
there’d been the rumours about ‘contracts’ to have me killed so I had to expect
almost anything. I knew he was too afraid to fly to Bali himself, but it wasn’t
beyond him to pay someone to come looking for us.
Next day
I rented a bike to go looking for a safer place. Several kilometres out of
'town' I turned off onto a far less manic road and zoomed unperturbed through a
landscape of rice fields, banana patches, and little lunch-nap huts, ostensibly
looking for a friendly wave another aussie guy had told me about but at the
same time hoping to discover what we did discover, one of the nicest places, a village
named Pererenan, about ten kilometres to the west of the Kuta area, with a
small left and right-hand reef break right out the front, and in the middle of
where nobody goes.
There was
a tiny café with a couple of empty bungalows near the beach but everywhere else
was still rice fields. So clean and green and the low caste farmers very ‘down
to earth’ you might say. The farmer's name was Nyoman and his little boy Ketut.
I hadn't realised then that I’d stopped for a rest there in 1974 while walking
back from Tanah Lot.
We ate a
hearty breakfast at the café and after checking out the bungalow we decided to
stay. Being close to a break meant we could surf without having to travel and
we could keep out of sight. The bungalow was half the price of the hotel we’d
been staying in and the sweet ladies in the kitchen produced affordable,
delicious, healthy food so it was the best place to be.
Hiding
out at our private beach with what soon amounted to our extended family was
blissful. Relaxation and enjoyment I’d forgotten was possible, but it didn’t mean
I couldn’t go to town occasionally to sniff the wind.
Every
second Aussie went to Bali some time or another so it was no surprise that I eventually
spotted an old ‘communard’ who knew Helen. Mandy was one of the more sensible
and reliable ‘hippies’. She’d never had the ‘far-out’ look and now looked just
like any other Aussie tourist except not quite so feral. Like quite a few other
people from the area she had decided to do some ‘higher education once their
house and garden were established and Armidale was the nearest university town.
Somehow,
after bailing out of Cairns, or being kicked out of Cairns, Helen had turned up
there on the central highlands. I guess she too was still trying to shake off
Dogface. He was painfully persistent. An attribute of his paranoid schizophrenia
the psychiatrist from Dickmond Clinic had told me with a smile on his face.
The good
doctor, the one who’d sedated him to stop him strangling his father in the
hospital, had been DF’s fixation before I’d taken his place.
The previous
year Helen had turned up at Mandy’s place with a beaten up face. She’d had a
fight with the boyfriend apparently. Mandy had offered her a safe place for as
long as she liked but after two days she’d gone back to the guy.
It was
difficult to understand why she would but it became a pattern. The next time Mandy saw her she
had a broken leg. Helen told her that it had been broken somehow in the car
door while they were having an argument. The guy was put away for a stretch in
Grafton gaol but Helen had hobbled her way down there on crutches to rent a
place close to the gaol to wait for him to finish his sentence. It’s a common
occurrence. What can you do? I didn’t understand.
Over the
next few months I made some half-hearted attempts to find where she was. I knew
that she’d headed north again but she’d gone so far underground I couldn’t find
out anything specific. Later I heard, whether it was true or not, her boyfriend,
same one or not, had been found face down in Townsville harbour, so god knows
what kind of sleazy guy came after him.
The next
time I heard she’d somehow ended up with a knife wound to her thigh. Like so
many drinkers she was on a downward spiral. She’d taken a walk on the wild side
and never come back. So how much of it was my fault?
On New Year’s
Eve we went out of town to a beach-side nightclub for a big party with a lady
who had bought one of my books and later left a message at the losmen that she
would like to meet the author. I’d followed up of course. Met up with her at a
very well-appointed hotel, and there we were at the venue, in her hire car. It
was very crowded so soon after midnight we all agreed our quiet surfside
bungalow seemed like a better option.
As we were
leaving the venue Tina cut her foot on a small piece of broken glass in the
sand. She was crying and bleeding a fair bit until I bandaged it with a torn strip
of sarong. We decided to call it a night.
I drove
the little Suzuki two-door while Sylvia comforted Tina in the back.
The road
that we were driving along was one of the typically narrow connecting roads
that link the small towns that were until recently only villages. Trees lined
each side and there was the occasional buffalo-cart, pile of building
materials, or old truck parked along the edge, to make it even narrower in
places.
Suddenly a
single bright light appeared from around the bend ahead of us. The dazzling beam
reflected off all kinds of things but basically kept coming toward us very
fast. My first thought was, “high-powered motorcycle” so I backed off the
throttle and kept as far to the left as possible to avoid being dazzled by the
light as it sped past but at the very last instant I saw the reflection of a
chrome grille and one dead headlight right in front of us.
In an
instantaneous reflective action, not able to even think about clipping trees, I
yanked the wheel left to avoid a head-on collision. The oncoming vehicle was a
large Toyota with only the passenger-side headlight working. The went so close
to colliding that the wing mirrors had smashed each other as the vehicles
passed.
It
couldn’t have been any closer! Especially at a closing speed of probably a
hundred and twenty kilometres per hour. Only
about forty for us but at least eighty for him.
A wave of
fear and relief swept over us simultaneously. It was hard to absorb just how close
we’d come to being killed or very badly injured. Suddenly the whole world
seemed just a little bit more beautiful and the sense of relief lingered as we
continued on through the semi-rural area lined with houses, warehouses and
shops until we were back amongst the rice-fields. I was still occasionally shaking
my head in disbelief.
As we
arrived at the edge of the next village I noticed a ten-wheeled truck pulled up
on the side of the road about a hundred and fifty metres ahead. It had a rear wheel
missing. Maybe a broken axle, as I’d seen so often before, but just moments
after I’d first seen the truck, and rationalised its position, a
vehicle without headlights appeared beside us, overtaking us, and then ahead of
us, before the brakes where savagely applied and the Toyota began to slide sideways
across the road in front of us.
My first
thought was that the driver of the vehicle sliding sideways in front of us had
only seen the truck half-blocking the road at the very last moment and then
panicked, but as the vehicle slid to a halt blocking the road ahead I realised
it was a very skilful manoeuvre by a driver intent on stopping us.
Even
before it had come to rest, all the doors were swinging open and men were
jumping out, and running towards our vehicle which hadn’t at that stage
completely stopped.
“Lock the
doors”, I yelled as I slammed on the
brakes, selected reverse, revved-out the little engine and dropped the clutch.
The small Suzuki began roaring backwards but, being only 1000cc’s, and very low
geared, it was not moving fast enough to escape our pursuers.
Three very
angry looking men were doing their best to catch us. In the glare of the
headlights they were only a couple of metres from the front of the vehicle. The
little engine was red-lining. They were so close but without making any ground
on us. The road was slightly downhill which favoured the pursuers. A motorcycle
was coming up behind us so I had to swing left to avoid it but even that
minimal change of direction almost put us into the deep drain which ran along
the side of the road to handle the tropical rains.
I
momentarily backed off enough to straighten us out again but one quick glance
to the front showed that the men were almost upon us, one of them actually
gripping the bull-bar, so I absolutely planted the accelerator again to try to
gain some ground. Sylvia and Tina were being thrown about in the back but not
screaming, or making things worse.
Looking
out through the back window I saw a driveway to the left which I swung into
with the brakes jammed on so the front end slid around as I selected second
gear, revved fully and dropped the clutch simultaneously to set the skinny wheels
spinning and sliding in the direction from which we’d come, running straight
over the back wheel of a motorcycle that got in the way.
I drove as
fast as I could all the way back toward the nightclub, always looking in the
mirror for our pursuers, reassuring the girls that we had had enough head
start, and hoping it was true, until we sped into the driveway of the first
expensive hotel I found.
Jumping
out and carrying Tina I followed Sylvia into the reception where we quickly
booked a room after giving the car keys to one of the staff to park it
out of sight around the back.
We didn’t
see them again but it had been a very frightening experience. For sure we
would’ve been killed and robbed and raped by those angry men who probably didn’t
realize that they’d only had one headlight and the lack of a light had been a
major contributing factor in the accident.
Anyway, we
were safe in luxurious surroundings so the frightening experience was soon put
behind us. I bathed Miss T’s cut foot. Not too bad. A clean cut in an awkward
spot. She was soon asleep in one of the double beds so Sylvia and I toasted
‘being alive’ with a few icy glasses of Grand Marnier. Another reminder of the
unpredictability of life. Security is an illusion but you can improve the odds
by staying alert and taking care. We spent the last ten days in that hotel with
Sylvia and then waved her goodbye. Back to her serious job in Sydney.
Being the
beginning of third year uni and having completed second year off-campus I was
allowed to apply to do a special research project in conjunction with an
Indonesian university so of course I elected to study the Majapahit Empire,
partly because I was surrounded by its cultural and religious remnants, and
partly because I’d become fascinated by the ancient Indonesian empires.
The university
in Java that
was sponsoring me gave me absolute freedom
and access to their libraries where I could have any book
photocopied completely in ten minutes.
The few academics who were specialists in the history of the Majapahit Empire
advised me on the best books to read but I did copies of everything I could
find on the subject.
Originally
I thought I’d have to stay in Jogjakarta, close to the university, but I soon
discovered there was no such restriction. We’d become pretty-well established
at Pererenan and Tina had plenty of friends in Bali, but I also liked the idea
of doing as much surfing as I could, so it made sense to be based in Bali where
the remnants of the Hindu/Buddhist Majapahit culture were still alive and
thriving. I just had to appear in Yogya once every ten weeks to have my visa
renewed.
As part of
my research project I intended to travel around to all of the temples, bathing
places and significant religious sites but I didn’t plan on doing that until I
had completed all the reading first.
The next
few months were very enriching. Being in Bali allowed me to wind down and see
things with much more clarity and then, visiting all of the historical sites in
the mountains of East Java gave me a new appreciation for the richness of the
Hindu Buddhist culture that had thrived for a thousand years.
When I’d left
Australia I’d had half a plan but we were mostly running away from the stupid
stuff. Being hunted and living in fear had been going on for too long. Far too
long. Maybe he’d given up or maybe he
hadn’t. It was going to hang over my head forever if I didn’t act more decisively.
During the hippie/environmentalist years I’d trained
myself to be more passive because I thought there was something virtuous about
being ‘soft’. Soft-willed and soft-brained. Compromised and
co-operative. But the face-biting episode had changed my mind, permanently.
No more,
not ever, would I hesitate to protect myself and others by any means possible. I’d
been given a second chance and I had no more confusion about the necessity of
violence, when violence was absolutely necessary.
Life was
good in Indonesia but we couldn’t stay there forever so if I wanted to return
to Australia anytime I’d have to solve the Dogface problem once and for all,
otherwise it would be difficult to fully relax for the rest of our lives.
Tina’s school was okay, her Indonesian language was twice as good as mine. They
were nice polite children. And she’d grown to be a polite and well-behaved
teenager but she was an Australian and she wanted to go to university in
Australia.
Dogface was
both impulsive and a planner. He’d shown a couple of times that he liked
setting up ambushes yet if he ever by accident bumped into one of us, either
Tina or myself, he could do anything on the spur of the moment.
If
something happened to me Tina would be on her own. And if he hurt Tina; well,
that just was never going to happen.
He’d shown
he had no fear of authority or retribution and probably even less so as time
progressed. He was getting older but that in some ways made him
even more dangerous. It was time for definitive action. I’d finished my studies,
submitted my completed project to the faculty in Yogya, and sat my final exam
in Jakarta but there was still plenty of time left on my student visa so we
flew back to Bali to catch up on some missed
surfing and to finalise my plans.
Comments
Post a Comment